63 flats in block, mains insufficient, is a pump the answer?

Sponsored Links
No magic will work here.
Aint gonna solve it via this forum.
What more can I say?

You could outline your reasons for your belief that the Stuart Turner pump won't work?

You could outline your reasons for your belief that the Stuart Turner pump won't work?

Because you are there and I am here.
It's debatable that sucking on the mains will work when it supplies 2 properties, let alone 63!
What happens when neighbours begin to employ the same solution to their individual problems with the supply?

Sponsored Links
Here's what Thames Water said when they delivered their report:

On the 10.08.2015 a logger was deployed at the nearest hydrant to the property which is at the junction of Taymount Rise and Grassmount. I have attached the data and graph; the graph shows a pattern of the pressure increasing and decreasing throughout the day and night depending on the demand. The data clearly shows the pressure during peak demand doesn’t go below 4.3 Bar or 43 meters head, which is much more than the statutory requirement.

What's the flow rate like (ie how many litres/minute do you get never mind what pressure it is at). And what is your hot water supplied by- combi boiler (almost certainly) or hot water cylinder?
If you had the space (and the cash) then your best bet might be to revert to an old-school hot water system (cylinder heated by the boiler with its own header tank). With that kind of setup you could use a pump to boost the hot water pressure. Cold water is trickier, you don't really want to have the kitchen or bathroom sink cold taps fed from a tank but you don't drink bathwater so that could supply from your header tank (if you make sure it is big enough to fill the bath). Unfortunately the terms of your (presumed) leasehold flat would probably require that you get permission from the leaseholder......having your local header tank would effectively separate your hot water (and the non drinking cold water) from the rest of the block- the header tank will fill at a trickle but you can drain it as fast as you like so you can have a high pressure shower without annoying your neighbours

4.5 litres/min (based on the time it took to fill a .5 litre measuring jug). Space is very, very tight - it's a flat, with very little storage space.

We have a combi boiler, I can't think where we'd put the storage tank for a vented system.

I could remake a storage unit in the utility room to contain the 60 litre Stuart Turner Mainsboost tank/pump assembly, if that is guaranteed to work of course.

Have you done any sort of pressure test on your water supply (as in at the point where the water supply enters your property).
As a slight aside, are your water bills part of the service charge for the flat (in which case the leaseholder will have a financial incentive to minimise water use) or are you billed individually by the water company? If the latter then you may have some scope to push them to provide an acceptable service.
Back on point, that Mainsboost system looks like a pump-assisted header tank and acts like an accumulator. It'll take 15 minutes to fill (assuming supply pressure is 2 bar) and you can empty it as fast as you like. Of course once it is empty you'll be down to pitiful flow rates again...
Yes it should work, no it won't affect your neighbours. Have a chat with the suppliers, they may have local distributors/installers who can check the job out properly.

Any sort of pressure test would involve dealing with the managing agent, and I'd rather run head first into a brick wall after setting fire to a bin full of tenners - both cheaper and more enjoyable. And quicker to accomplish.

When I dealt with Thames Water back in 2015 they tried to work with the managing agent but (as Thames Water wasn't going to pay him for his time I suspect) he never responded to them.

Good idea on calling the supplier, be handy to get someone round to look at the whole thing (it'll include remaking the unit that currently houses the mains supply).

I had a chat with the tech chap at Stuart Turner pumps, his opinion was that the 60 litre mainsboost would be insufficient, as it holds circa 30 litres of water, and the 9lpm shower head would burn through that in short order (4.5 lpm from the mains, 4.5 from the tank to give the 9lpm required. 30/4.5= 6.7 minutes of shower time then a 6.7 minute recharge time). He reckons an iBoost unit with a 200 litre nominal capacity is the one to go for, and that's a big unit.

If you, and the other occupiers, are leaseholders, have you thought about getting together and purchasing the freehold of the block? You can then form a management committee to make any decisions and appoint your own managing agents.

Sounds like you've got a new hobby coming up then. Fairly sure the articles of association of the board controlling your freehold will require periodic election of directors- time for you to start canvassing the neighbours with a view to replacing the 'captured' directors and thence reframing the working relationship with this managing agent and others. Yes it'll take time and effort and we're all busy and yada yada yada but your current situation sounds fairly frustrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back