63 storey Address Hotel in Dubai ablaze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
images

I love Dubai.
We used to walk past that hotel quite often on our numerous shopping trips to the mall(have daughter will spend)type of trips. ;)

All Steel Framework building, 63 Stories high, every floor well alight.

and it still hasnt collapsed into its own footprint !!!

Sponsored Links
All Steel Framework building, 63 Stories high, every floor well alight.

and it still hasnt collapsed into its own footprint !!!
But to be fair, it appears that only the outside is alight. It was quite a common practice to fit non fire retardant PVC cladding to some of these older buildings..chances are that the inside of the building has survived well

Not specifically this building, as I don't know much about it in detail, but surely a building comprising steel, concrete and glass has nothing combustible.
Yes of course internal fittings, being made of things such as wood, plastic and fabrics, are another thing but I wonder whether it could be possible to create a building constructed, inside and out, of completely non-flammable materials.

Before the onslaught, I'm not saying it is possible, just asking!

I've always wondered about these buildings. How do you fight fires? Presumably water points and hoses throughout the buildings, you'd think they would have sprinklers. And how do you refurbish something so tall when the outside is damaged, it must be a right royal pain. And then when the design life is exceeded, demolition? Removing small towers is far from easy. Given that they can't be short of 'interesting' desert to build on, the skyscraper must be a status symbol, an indication of wealth and power.

I think that a lot of it is down to price. When I fist moved out to Dubai the exterior of the buildings were mainly painted white. We
developed GRC. Glass fibre reinforced cement. Panels for permanent formwork in the gulf and this is great for smaller buildings but in those days aluminium cladding was used for taller buildings to hide the structure. Later replaced with glass walling for the mofern, western look. We had developed PVC sandwich panels with aluminium and GRP. Glass fibre reinforced polyester skins. No one really cared much about fire retardency as long as it was cheap.

Last edited:
Lack of fire-stopping in the cladding at each floor level.

Typical of crapbuilding methods in the third world.

On the news around 14 people injured not badly and no fatalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back