6m Extension, roof question

If costs are trying to be kept down, then a laminated beam could be designed as a central ridge beam (dependant on the depth). It would also negate the need for a costly structural engineer to size it up, as its common practice for roof truss manufacturers to be able to size up glulam within the truss software. Most shouldnt charge for the calcs either.

Sponsored Links
The cost of the calc is merely hidden within the cost of the beam. Its not really a free calc. A glulam is likely to be more expensive than a steel too. Eng calcs for a ridge beam should be achievable for say <£100.

The cost of the calc is merely hidden within the cost of the beam. Its not really a free calc. A glulam is likely to be more expensive than a steel too. Eng calcs for a ridge beam should be achievable for say <£100.

TBH we never price steel, I was always taught to sell what we have :D

And Yeah i know what your saying Freddy, we all know nothing is free in this world.

It just looks better when your given a price for the beam and thats it. Rather than having to shell out for a SE calc and then the steel too.

For a rough comparison, you should be able to pick up a Glulam for around 140-160 ish (although not sure on prices in your neck of the woods). A quick run through on my software gives 405mm deep. Its big however also would give the option of leaving it exposed for a better feature than a piece of steel that has to be boarded.

Thank you both, I'll find an engineer to look at the beam needed. May I ask without causing offence, if I had hired an architect, would they have done this or would I have still needed an engineer in addition?

Sponsored Links
If they were suitably qualified and carried the necessary insurance then yes. Otherwise they would have employed an engineer at your cost to size the beam. So one way or another the beam would need calcs and you would have had to pay for it.

@OP;
When you get your beam calculated, let us know what size your SE specifies.
Chances are it will be far too big (and heavy; and costly)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back