steel beams for extension - replica wood? Alternatives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just starting work on our two storey extension at the back of our cottage.
Approx. measurements of the extension are 5.6 x 6.6m internal. Plans have suggested a steel beam across the first floor to support the joists for upstairs, 5.6m in length (as far as I can see this is hidden in the floor space), and two steel beams in the roof (6.6m length) which seem to be exposed.

As it is a cottage I would prefer if they were oak beams to be in-keeping but I am assuming that there is a lot more cost involved?

Has anyone ever come across or used a company that does replica beams i.e. made out of plaster/resin and stained to look real? Looking on the internet I can’t tell the difference and look pretty good but would be interested what your thoughts were on cost etc.

Alternatively we could try and bodge some sort of beam to go around the steel (my husband is a joiner) but it seems a little too much hassle.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Box them in with oak.
You could use oak veneered plywood if you want a contemporary look (clean straight lines) Which would be much cheaper and easier to work with than real oak, over those spans.

...and don't bodge it! :eek:

I was having a good nosey at the oak casings last night, we'd be doing it ourselves but my only concern was getting hold of wood that looked old. I don't want to go for the 'new wood' look, I like all the cracks and uneven surface - I've set the hubby on a task to get prices for the wood but seeing as it has probably had to be dried for god knows how many years I thought it is probably going to be a bit pricey.

That's why I thought Id look into the resin option but a little nervous about the end result on that one!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back