Bungalow extension, ridge beam, matching existing roof line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Helping a mate build an extension to his bungalow

The bungalow has a trussed roof.
The extension (full width) at the back will have vaulted roof and patio/bifold doors overlooking the garden.

How do you pro's work out where the ridge beam will sit, so that the extension will have the same roof line & angle as the current roof?

New roof will be a cut roof.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you want the same pitch and the same ridge height then the width of the extension will need to be identical to the depth (front top rear) of the existing building. I'm assuming that the revised building will have a T-form when completed

Presumably the plan monkey was shiite then and did not annotate the dimensions on the drawing?

If it's a gable, us pro's would build the gable and then the ridge sits at the apex :rolleyes:

Plan monkey has given very scant detail.

I realise the ridge beam sits at the apex, don’t think I explained Properly what I wanted advice about.

Say the timber size will be 225 deep for the new vaulted roof, how do I ensure that When birds mouthed etc, this will be at the same height as the current truss roof timbers?

Obviously I want to cut down on work, but If the ridge beam is sat a bit low, presume i could cut firing strips to go on new rafters to meet trusses roofline.

Sorry don’t understand T-form:cautious:

Sponsored Links
You'll know the centre of the extension, and the plate height (rafter height at the wall plate), therefore be able to set up two template rafters at the gable and these will give you the ridge height.

As per Woody really. Set up a pair of dummy rafters complete with B/M cut outs. You can even slot in a short temporary piece of wall plate into the B/M cut to determine the height of the masonry. Same with the ridge beam.

when I set up this roof....

I had to faff about trial and erroring my way through with dummy purlins and rafters until I had the pitch, wall plate, ridge beam and purlins all worked out.

Thanks chaps.

I see there may be a little trial and error to get things going. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back