DIY extension - roof

Possibly to help in your decision, when I did my extension 3 or 4 years ago I considered a cut roof (I am also a joiner by trade), however, the trussed roof was marginally cheaper and they did full structural calcs for £100.00.
Mine was a hip end and I still had to cut the jack rafters myself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks maltaron, that's interesting to know.

I am assuming the trusses are far quicker to install as well.

When you mention the structural calcs that they provided - is that to satisfy the building inspector against the drawings that would have been in your original plans?

I did an extension on a building notice a year ago - for the pitched (and hipped) roof structure I called two local truss suppliers for price comparison, they sent a guy out to survey the site and measure up, discuss requirements re soffit depth etc. The supplier provides a detailed plan (knocked out with a cad package, by the looks of it). The plan was presented to the BCO and accepted without question. Puts a nice tick in the box for both you and the BCO, cos the truss suppliers plans are assumed to be copper bottomed.

5 years ago I did a self build ext on full detailed plans, this time cut roof. The BCO did seem a bit nervous about signing off the roof structure/carcassing - said cut roofs were so old skool it was a 'dark art' (he looked about 30), but conceded as we'd followed the plan, and that plan had previously been signed off by LBC.

I recall it took about 12 weeks for the detailed plans to be approved by LBC.

Sponsored Links
As Maltaron said, you still need some degree of cut roof skill even when constructing some truss roofs, in particular hip ends. The final quadrant of most trussed hips is 'loose fill' as is the hip blade.

Some people like to have space in their loft and for this reason a cut roof is king. Also, when extending an existing roof it is often simpler to use a cut roof method rather than try and work in a pre made truss fella into the existing. Particularly relevant when extending an existing hip end with purlins.

One more thing - I hate and absolutely detest valley sets! One of the most irritating items of a truss roof to fit. I always ask for loose fill on all of my valley sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back