6m long beam - brick pillars or not. Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, really after some guidance. For starters I have no DIY skills or knowledge at all, let alone the technical aspects of building work. Ive enjoyed reading the forums however so thought someone may be able to assist me as I seem to have a huge difference in opinion between the Structural guy and the Building Inspec.

In simple terms, as part of some building work I am having done, I intend to open up the living room which will see a c6 metre wide opening. This is single storey and will remain to be single storey. The structural guys advises me that I need brick pillars (325x325) at either end to take the beam. The Building Inspec is adamant that this isn't needed. He went back through all the calcs again, at my request, and stated that the beam simply needs to sit on padstones, albeit 600mm long padstones. For what its worth, the builder also believes that brick pillars are not needed given single storey aspect.

Does the Building Inspec have a point? If I revert to the structural guy I suspect he is unlikely to change his view (as that would raise questions as to why he didn't mention the options in the first place).

I have attached some photos (I think) which hopefully will help.

Any guidance would be so much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation. View media item 80004 View media item 80005 View media item 80006

Sponsored Links
Unless your internal skin is built from Weetabix, you would not need new brick piers to support the beam.

You do need to leave a little of the original wall, if only to provide some lateral stiffness under wind load, but the vertical (gravity) load on the beam will be comparitively low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back