6mm cable load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick question. I recently had a 6mm cable cooker circuit wired into my fuse box. At the moment it has 32 amp fuse. If in the future i needed a greater load, for an induction hob for example, would i just be able to increase the fuse to a 40 amp fuse or is that too high a level for 6mm cable?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It depends on a number of factors, primarily the length and installation method of the cable. For example, clipped direct, 6mm can take around 47A (depending on length, as the longer the cable the higher the voltage drop, and if it gets above a threshold you have to use a bigger cable), however, if run above a plasterboard ceiling under less than 100mm of insulation, it can only take 34A.

There's a handy calculator on the TLC site where you can put in the power requirements and length, and select installation method, and it will tell you what size you need: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

With what installation method? And what type of 6mm cable.

With Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness) using thermal plastic cable it would not be able to be up-graded the maximum is 34A.

however using other installation methods and with Ali-tube or other XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) or LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) cable thermal setting cable the values are higher.

Twin and Earth can come in either type but normally thermoplastic the thermosetting is often white but there are also some old thermoplastic T&E which is white.

Since you say recently you should have some paperwork which will give all that data. If pre 2008 we will need to look in old books for installation method but no problem just give all the info and I am sure we can tell you if it can be up-graded. Remember if up grading it would come under Part P.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back