6mm plasterboard alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Ideally I need the above to put above a doorframe. It needs to be ~6mm to tie in with the surrounding plaster but the area above the door is wood, a lintel I think.

I gather there is a glasroc 6mm board but its 50 quid for a sheet and I just need 500x200mm (ish) to line an area above a door.

6mm plasterboard screwed into the wooden lintel then skimmed would be perfect.

What else can I use?

Sponsored Links
Good point. There's a picture of the doorway and close up of the wood lintel. I'm going to hack off the plaster on the left of the doorway too as there's no corner bead and its knackered. The plaster above is coming off the lintel.
The plan is to board over the lintel and under the top doorframe and bead it.
On the left doorframe hack off back to brick (6'' or so), install bead, base coat (probably using pva then bonding) then skim the lot, plasterboarded areas then down the side over the bonding.
If that makes sense....
To blend it in with the walls 6mm board would be perfect then skim.
image.jpg image.jpg

The doorway opening could be a retrofit opening - you can see where remedial making good has taken place around the opening?
The frame is an exterior frame .
The left side reveal corner bead(?) could be easily sorted out.

I cant tell if you have a wood lintel or if thats a plaster lath showing in the gap?

Judging by the pics there's very little wrong that a good sanding, and a few bits of making good wont remedy?

FWIW: injecting glue or foam behind loose plaster lath will often tie in small patches.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Added a couple more pictures.
One shows the left corner in more detail, it's really scruffy!
Above the door I've hacked off some loose plaster. It's various lintels, all timber, and a timber liner above the door.
The more I think about it I just need a scrap of 6mm plasterboard but if there's another way.....tack some mesh over and plaster?

image.jpg image.jpg

Jeez an area that small could just be filled with plaster, or even use plywood and skim.

That's just a section I've taken off, the whole area is hanging off and looks awful too. The area that needs replacing above the door is approx. 200mm (h) by 900mm (w).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back