7.5 KW shower

Obviously it's a 9.5 KW. Well spotted, not sure why I thought it was 7.5.

Would the failed neutral be due to the main switch going ?
Could be, have you had a look inside that switch (I assume you mean the one that stuck) to see if everything looks okay? - With the power off.
The fact that your shower is rated at 9.5kw (41.3 Amps) that is getting close to the current carrying capacity of 6mm2 T&E which is 46Amps when clipped direct you may have to raise the size of the T&E to 10mm2.
Also what is the size of your MCB and is it RCD protected?

What are my best options now for a 9.5 KW ?
Gave you one that Gainsborough recommend.

Sponsored Links
Also what is the size of your MCB and is it RCD protected?

Not sure what an MCB and RCD protected means sorry.

I would rather do it myself with a little guidance here ;) Surely if I get another 9.5 KW shower and switch it will work ? I will have a look inside the switch and let you know.

Sponsored Links
I would rather do it myself with a little guidance here ;) Surely if I get another 9.5 KW shower and switch it will work ? I will have a look inside the switch and let you know.
What is the size of the MCB that covers the shower circuit.
Is that circuit also protected by an RCD?
If the circuit is not protected by an RCD then you will need to introduce it into the circuit as per the manufactures instructions.
If you had read the information given in the wickes shower manual you would have had a better understanding of what I am talking about.
If the switch is jammed or was jammed then you need to replace it.

Yes, it has an RCD next to the electric meter. I just switched it off and the shower didn't come on so it's def that one.

The cable that you have looks like 6mm². That is not big enough for a 9.5KW shower. Thats why you have problems, the cable has overheated and started to fail.
It has obviously failed in the switch too.

What size fuse/MCB is on that circuit in the consumer unit?

You mean inside the shower unit ?

we inherited the shower set up when we moved in 13 years ago so it's done well to get this far.

Ok, I have had a look and there are 2 RCD fuses. One is double with a shared switch and the other (the one I turned the shower off with to check earlier) has just the one. The double is 63 A. The latter (shower) just says B40 with 240-415 v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back