7' Wooden fence post buried 7" !?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ello all
my neighbour had a couple of wooden posts in the fence between us replaced a few months back (old ones had rotted).
Ive since laid a new patio (done properly with 3" hardcore etc) although the new patio flags dont go right up the boundary - hence the ground level on my side has gone down by about 3".

Anyway, since Ive laid the patio, the two posts have come loose :( and of course her view is that its my fault because 'it was ok and now its not' (etc).

So, thinking Id re-postcrete the things back in, Ive dug right down on my side of one of the posts, only to find that the damn thing has been buried all of 7" (the total length is 7 feet). Thats 7" of the original ground level (its less now of course!).

Does this sound reasonable ?? I thought you should generally bury 1/4 of a post??

Is it possible to get away with 7" if you pcrete it in?

tia
crotchy

Sponsored Links
2 foot deep lump of post crete with what amounts to a 7 inch deep socket in it.. ?

should hold.. after all you can get bolt down feet that only hold about 4 inches of the bottom of the post.. same as the drive in spikes... as long as the postcrete is solid in place then the post won't wobble any more than they do in those things..

apart from when the post shrinks?
have you enough room to fix some kind of a spur onto it?

ello all
my neighbour had a couple of wooden posts in the fence between us replaced a few months back (old ones had rotted).
Ive since laid a new patio (done properly with 3" hardcore etc) although the new patio flags dont go right up the boundary - hence the ground level on my side has gone down by about 3".

Anyway, since Ive laid the patio, the two posts have come loose :( and of course her view is that its my fault because 'it was ok and now its not' (etc).

So, thinking Id re-postcrete the things back in, Ive dug right down on my side of one of the posts, only to find that the damn thing has been buried all of 7" (the total length is 7 feet). Thats 7" of the original ground level (its less now of course!).

Does this sound reasonable ?? I thought you should generally bury 1/4 of a post??

Is it possible to get away with 7" if you pcrete it in?

tia
crotchy

It's not acceptable in the slightest. The lack of support is a genuine safety hazard and it's your neighbour's responsibility to make good. How she does this isn't your concern but it's imperative she does it asap. For a 7 feet post bury 1.5 feet at a minimum.

Sponsored Links
2 foot deep lump of post crete with what amounts to a 7 inch deep socket in it.. ?

should hold.. after all you can get bolt down feet that only hold about 4 inches of the bottom of the post.. same as the drive in spikes... as long as the postcrete is solid in place then the post won't wobble any more than they do in those things..

sorry col jack but piffle. no self respecting fencer will drop a post in anything under a depth of 1/3 the height above the ground. As for fne spikes, dont even get me started

so you need 9 foot posts and a 3 foot hole fo a 6 foot fence?

bloody hell..

I could only just reach the bottom of a 2 foot deep hole for my 8 foot post..

so you need 9 foot posts and a 3 foot hole fo a 6 foot fence?

bloody hell..

I could only just reach the bottom of a 2 foot deep hole for my 8 foot post..

nah 1/3 the height above ground = 1/3 six foot= 2ft 2ft+6ft=8ft
or 1/3 2m=666 2m +666= 2.67m or 9 ft

or put it another way 25% below and 75% above

25 below and 75 above? that 1/4 not 1/3rd!

and yes a 6 foot fence should have 2 feet below the ground.

so I need a post that's 4/3rds the height that I want above ground and then bury 1/3rd of it leaving 3/3rds above the ground? :eek:

yes. so a 6 foot fence should have a post 8 foot tall, with 2 feet below the ground

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back