7A fuses, thoughts? UPDATE, It gets better...

Thank you for the link, the problem with a fuse, one needs to destroy it to test it. I have over the years doing PAT testing ended up with loads of 13 amp fuses, where the lead is not rated at 13 amp then fuse is changed to normally 3 amp, so I would start with a pocket full of 3 amp and end with pocket full of 13 amp where wrong fuse fitted.

So no idea of the origin of the 13 amp fuses, and also no idea if the 3 amp fitted were genuine, however the same applies to MCB's, I have picked one up and though that's light, and found it was simply a switch.

Today in the main we use RCBO's and these are tested on fitting to see if the trip with 30 mA so unlikely to get a fake one fitted, but we are relying on the suppliers buyer to select a good source. With the likes of CEF or Screwfix we are unlikely to find counterfeits, but the local hardware store is another story.

But to be fair, the fuses shown are not made to look like genuine BS 1362 fuses, they look more like the fuses that were used in every car, and at extra low voltage lack of sand is unlikely to be a problem. But back some 30 years ago we were taught in school how to select and change a fuse at school and how to fit a plug, but with the rules on all items must come with a plug fitted, this seems to have been dropped, so school leavers today have no idea on how to change a fuse. To be fair maybe we should just say our school system is sadly lacking.

The most universal skill required today is how to drive a car, yet it is not taught at school, even things which are taught are often wrong, the A level science book shows a fluorescent tube wiring which would never work, are the books not proof read?

I think children need to be taught in their selected trade or profession and they should leave school at 16 when going into further training like universities or apprenticeships so the poor training does not need to be corrected.

Sponsored Links
The fuse has BS1362 printed on it, but it also has a size printed on it that is totally wrong for a BS1362 fuse. It also doesn't follow the color code for BS1362 fuses. If the manufacturer is screwing up such simple things then what is the probability they got the hidden technical aspects of the fuse correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back