Full Rewire help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 weeks ago I wanted to update my fuse box as its 1970s and everytime It tripped I had to wire the fuse , so an electrician came out to check to see if my electrics were OK to fit a new board, and he said it was fine. A few days later he came out and he took 4 hours and then after all that he couldn't get my lights working , only sockets , so I payed him 400 and he came back a week later to fault find and still couldn't get it back on, so he told me I need a full rewire even after paying 400 plus 25 quid to fault find. He told me he could do the rewire in 1 day with a team of 4 lads.
Anyone know what to make of this ?

Sponsored Links
About 3 weeks ago I wanted to update my fuse box as its 1970s and everytime It tripped I had to wire the fuse , so an electrician came out to check to see if my electrics were OK to fit a new board, and he said it was fine. A few days later he came out and he took 4 hours and then after all that he couldn't get my lights working , only sockets , so I payed him 400 and he came back a week later to fault find and still couldn't get it back on, so he told me I need a full rewire even after paying 400 plus 25 quid to fault find. He told me he could do the rewire in 1 day with a team of 4 lads.
Why can't he get the lights working?

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing.

At this distance I'll predict a borrowed neutral.

Taking bets...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Are you sure he is qualified?

Find someone else.

Hi thanx . I get that I may need a rewire at some point as the house is 1972 and never had one. I got the fella from my builder as he had decent reviews. I've been left with 3 sockets hanging out and no lights for the past week or so , I've just had to use lamps.

the fact that the fuse kept blowing probably meant something wasn't right before he started.

post a picutre of the new CU with the lid open.
how many light circuits do you have ?

20210521_174551.jpg

Why are so many MCB's in the OFF position ? Are they all unused ,no circuits wired into them ? Do you know which breakers are for your lighting circuits ?
I would also suspect borrowed neutrals are the reason the lighting circuits don't work ,does an RCD trip when lighting circuits are used ?

Yes he's said because this new board is sensitive and the wiring is old , the RCD keeps tripping . I'm not entirely sure what switch is for lightning but probably be one of which is off ( sorry bad joke) . It's come at a bad time for us as we've struggled to save for the new board and now it's going to cost is 3500 +

He is an idiot. As others have said ,find another electrician . I very much doubt that you need a full re wire. What area of the country are you in ?

I'm in Liverpool , he said he doesn't do the rewires his brother does. And told me they can do it all in 1 day. I'm living in the house and have nowhere to go so they told me to go out for the day and it will be done. My gut feeling is telling me to **** it off but I've been asking electricians to come out they don't get back in touch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back