8.8kw dual fuel oven cable diameter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have bought a rangemaster dual fuel oven which max load is 8.8kw. Think this is when everything is on at once. The instructions say 10mm max but I have a 6mm cable. Will the 6mm cable be ok ?

Sponsored Links
First, it's the cross-sectional area (specified in square millimetres)that matters, not the diameter. Second, the manufacturer has specified 10mm² for a reason.

Sponsored Links
Second, the manufacturer has specified 10mm² for a reason.
He's specified 10mm² maximum - presumably because the terminals won't accommodate anything larger.

Anyway - 8.8kW. Even if we assume that's at 230V, that's 18.5A after diversity.

6mm² ought to be fine, but I guess due diligence on checking the rating of the protective device should be done....

10mm² is commonly used as a sub-main for a whole flat to supply everything.

8.8kW @ 240V is 37A - after diversity this is 18.1A so clearly 10mm² is overkill no matter what the manufacturer states.

we need more information, but it's possible that this is a dual-fuel cooker. It might, for example, have a 2.5kW big oven and a 1.3kW little oven, and it might have four or five gas rings with an output totalling, let's say, 5kW

That's one way it could reach 8.8kW, but it would not all be electricity.

My dual-fuel cooker is somewhat like that. I have an idea the max electrical load (undiversified) is about 20A

This is only a guess. If it turns out not to be dual fuel, it will be very different.

IMG_9019.PNG

The hobs are gas and yes it's a dual fuel range cooker. What type of person has all ovens and grill on at the same time ?

The hobs are gas and yes it's a dual fuel range cooker.
The specification you have posted indicates that the total 8.8kW electrical load includes hob. If you don't have an electric hob, then the figure will obviously be much less.

Are there just the two ~2.5kW ovens?

Kind Regards, John

Two ovens and a separate grill. Why would they include the gas burner in the electrical bit ? Very misleading of RAngemaster. So a 6mm cable is fine then John ?

Two ovens and a separate grill. Why would they include the gas burner in the electrical bit ? Very misleading of RAngemaster.
On reflection, I think that they have just perpetrated a typo, and should not have written 'including hob'. The 8.8kW looks as if it is probably the sum of "Multifunction", "Forced Air Convection" (presumably the two ovens?) and "Grill", which comes to 8.5kW, plus a (somewhat generous!) bit for lights and fan(s).
So a 6mm cable is fine then John ?
Indeed, as has been said, that should be fine, and 10mm² would be rather OTT.

Kind Regards, John

specification you have posted indicates that the total 8.8kW electrical load includes hob.

I think that's a mistake, an earlier manual revision maybe, it doesn't say that here...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/7...onal-Deluxe-100-Dual-Fuel.html?page=34#manual

It says...

3.7kW Main Oven
2.5kW 2nd Oven
2.3kW Grill

Maximum total electrical load at 230 V (approximate total including oven lights, oven fan, etc.): 8.8 kW

So, 8.5kW. I don't quite see how two fans, 1 or 2 15w lamps and the LED display make up the other 0.3kW though!

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back