6mm Heat Resitant Flex- It's probably me!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a customer call, I know late but there you go.

They have bought a dual fuel cooker they said it requires a 6mm Heat resistant flexible cable to connect it to the CCU.

I have no idea if this stuff comes in 6mm!!

The Main circuit in 6mm yes, but the connective flex!?!

Nothing came with the oven BTW.

Any pointers chaps??

Sponsored Links
If wholesalers don't have it, they should be able to get it for you

Most just use T+E....

6mm HR flex is available from the wholesalers, check the output on the cooker and MCB rating, if your using a 32A 4mm HR flex will be fine, stranded cables will carry more current than non-stranded cables ie. twin and earth

Stranded carries more than solid?

Solid 2.5 T&E clipped direct - 27A

Stranded 2.5 flex - 25A

To my knowledge, I have not seen any flex > 4mm².

Sponsored Links
1.5mm twin - 10A

1.5mm flex - 17A

if a 1.5mm flex will carry 17A max and twin and earth cable will carry more current than this then why aren't radial socket circuits wired in 1.5mm twin????

what book you looking in?
1.5 T+E will take 20A... in free air, which is what the flex will be in..

6mm HR flex is available from the wholesalers, check the output on the cooker and MCB rating, if your using a 32A 4mm HR flex will be fine, stranded cables will carry more current than non-stranded cables ie. twin and earth

Bear in mind that the insulation may be rated higher than standard PVC therefore current carrying capacity is increased but the terminals of the accessory its being connected to are probably only rated at 70 degrees.

If that is the case (it is!) then design calcs should be based on 70 degrees.

very strange to have a dual-fuel cooker that needs 6mm

they usually have a gas hob and electric oven(s) and ovens usually take about 12A each.

The gas hob is much better than an electric one, hence why dual-fuel cookers are so wonderful (I have one)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back