9 to 10.8kw upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 Mira showers in the house I've just moved into - both 9kw - in the main bathroom and ensuite.

I miss the power showers from my old house already :(

As both rooms have recently been tiled, my missus 'aint keen on me trying to plumb power showers into the current heating system and the mess that might entail. [Will the Miras be plumbed straight into the mains cold?]

If I replaced the shower with the 10.8kw model would I notice any increase in flow rate? This seems my only option at the moment - unless fitting a pump is feasible?

Any advice welcomed.

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
There will be an increase in flow but not a big jump, also you will possibly have to increase your cable size, fuse/breaker rating and isolator switch.
Mira site may give you the info you require but you can't beat a power shower (unvented, combi or pumped). You cannot pump an electric shower to increase the flow it will just be colder as the flow is increased it can't pick up the heat transfer to the water.

Have you looked at the Aqualisa Quartz? The "off the wall" pumped unit has a combined pump and mixer unit which is mountable in a loft; just one hole in the ceiling and the rest is surface mounted. You still have to plumb the hot and cold to the mixer unit but it has rave reviews and is very easy and neat.

and of course install hot and cold tanks if they aren't present already....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

A power shower is the only feasible way ahead.

No mattter which route I take [Aqualisa or any other make] - will accessing the hot and cold feeds from the central heating system have to be done by removing sections of the tiled shower cubicle - or can I get a feed from the airing cupboard and route the pipes across the loft and down into the shower room. [about 15-20 feet away]?

Making as little mess as possible in the ensuite will keep my wife off my back!!

Regards

Homer

if you're having 2 10.8kw showers try not to use them both at the same time. See the electrics UK forum for reasons why

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back