90deg Screwdriver

I use this at work for balancing carbs and throttle bodies, cost £1000 iirc but you can't buy them new any more unfortunately.

Worth it's weight in gold and I'll be lost if it ever goes wrong!. It has an overlay function as well so you can see the vacuum signature of each cylinder and catch any irregularities.

Carb balancing is an art and you can't beat the sound of a well balanced engine, especially one that was miles out to begin with!.

20190608_152241.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't expect a person of your mentality to work out that the search for a 90deg screwdriver started on Friday & ended on Saturday.
Irrelevant. The type of people that start and finish posts like this, sometimes like to keep others guessing and looking for days before the big reveal.

I use this at work for balancing carbs and throttle bodies, cost £1000 iirc but you can't buy them new any more unfortunately.

Worth it's weight in gold and I'll be lost if it ever goes wrong!. It has an overlay function as well so you can see the vacuum signature of each cylinder and catch any irregularities.

Carb balancing is an art and you can't beat the sound of a well balanced engine, especially one that was miles out to begin with!.

View attachment 172208
A nice bit of kit, Keith - I've had to make do with the four column mercury manometer system by Morgan which has its place, for sure.
I never got anywhere by adjusting the pilot mixture screws though, tending to leave them be if every cylinder was firing at low speed - hence the digital thermometer trick.
John :)

I normally check pilot air screws first and make sure they are the same across all cylinders.

With carbed bikes they were set up for fuel composition 20 years old, the Ethanol effectively leans them out so most bikes I come across I have to add fuel to avoid low throttle miss or surgeing.

The fuel injected bikes just adapt with the lambda sensor and correction tables on their own.

I've found 1200cc Suzuki Bandits to be very sensitive to fuel quality and pilot air mixture, ride a badly set up one and they're truely horrible!.

Sponsored Links
Ive richened things up before, in my case it was the Honda 750 sohc/ dohc fours that tended to pop back through the carbs.
Id always do all four screws exactly the same - Ive no idea how the exact pilot mixture can be set individually.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back