'99 reg Bora TDI antifreeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the light is flashing for the coolant but the level is up which makes me think the inhibitor is spent and that's why is flashing.

Does anyone know what type of antifreeze to use ?

I going to drain flush and refill.

Sponsored Links
The inhibitor concentration can't be read by the warning lamp, only the level......use G12+ coolant, or if its completely drained and flushed, a proprietary OAT solution is fine at 50% water mix.
Usually the generic stuff is red in colour.
John :)

Last edited:
It's not the antifreeze (G12 as Burnerman says - I think it's G12++ these days) that's the problem, it's the 2 probes in the header tank. They accumulate deposits over time and don't read correctly.

I cleaned my probes with some abrasive paper and this proved to work for a couple of years until I eventually ended up buying a new header tank which wasn't costly, around £12 at the time. I only bought it as the old header tank became quite discoloured and a new one freshened up the look under the bonnet (I used to show my car regularly).

Hope that helps :)

Thanks folks.

I'll dip the antifreeze tester in the header and if its got plenty alcohol in, I may just get a bottle of corrosion inhibitor to pour in.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid you'll need the appropriate tester......there hasn't been alcohol in coolant for ages, the cheaper stuff now is glycol based. The appropriate stuff is OAT grade, and they shouldn't be mixed.

That's specifically for ethylene glycol, I'm afraid....but I've no idea what sort of readings you'll get!

ref: That's specifically for ethylene glycol

I presume from what you say, specific gravity differs between antifreeze types ? ............ noted !

Please don't take what I say here as any sort of antifreeze gospel.....even the OAT stuff will be glycol based to some degree. All of the testers I've had anything to do with measure the specific gravity of the coolant, but pro garages seem to use a refraction device. Try mixing a fresh solution 50% from concentrate and water and see what reading you get. Do a few tests for accuracy though!
Coolant has a maximum life of 5 years .....it's not the freezing properties that fail, it's the inhibitors that get used up.

Sponsored Links
Back