A basic metric for clear pricing from energy suppliers

They purposefully don't make their prices transparent and no one, no charity, no MP and least of all, no watchdog, seem interested in a clear price per kWh.
I found the BG one in minutes. What particular one are you looking for?

Or do you mean a sheet with them all on it (which isn't feasible IMHO)?

Sponsored Links

It isn't as suppliers are allowed to charge different amounts depending on your location. When the market is operating you can use things like USwitch to find the best rates, and those include kWh rates.

I'd like to see a kWh figure being quoted similar to the APR that finance companies have to use. What you get now is the raw kWh. This changes depending on maybe time of the day, location as someone mentioned, first units may be on higher rate, then add standing charges, etc.
A kWh figure that would reflect all rates, fees and charges for a given plan which we can then use to compare accurately with another supplier.

I know at the moment there is no point in comparing suppliers but that figure would be better than this typical household cost.

I know.

That's what I do, and most people I know.

I found this for BG since your post,

View attachment 285715

I may be wrong but think most people would compare the unit kWh cost as a proper comparison.
That's interesting. I'm currently with British Gas on a standard variable tariff and none of those rates match the rates on my latest bill.

Sponsored Links
The exact prices vary by region, payment method and meter type.

I'm on the Octopus std variable, my gas is 10.33p per Kwh, I have just done a test and it costs me about 8.5p for the first hour of my heating being on and 5.6p for subsequent hours.

I know it all adds up but I don't think I will freeze this winter.

Back