A bit off topic but.....

As an engineer that works on petrol pumps for a living, I can tell you zones are.

Zone 0;
• Within any access chamber or pit in which there are tanker delivery hose
connection point(s).
• Within an oil separator (petrol interceptor).
Zone 1;
• 1m radius around the road tanker delivery and vapour return hose connections
extending down to ground level.
• 1m radius along the delivery hose route from the tanker connection point(s) to
the tank connection point(s).
• 1m radius from a tank fill point (above ground)
• 1m radius from the edge the chamber if fill point is below ground.
• Within petrol tank access chambers which do not have tank fill points.
• 2m radius around tank venting point(s) which do not have a stage 1b vapour
recovery system.
• 1m radius around a venting point of an oil separator (petrol interceptor).
• Within the access chamber of an oil separator (petrol interceptor).
• Within a 4.1m radius of a petrol delivery hose connection on a dispenser (without
stage 2 vapour recovery).
Zone 2;
• 4m radius of tanker delivery hose connection point(s).
• 4m radius of above ground off set fill connection(s).
• 1 m radius around vapour return hose connection point.
• 2m radius around tank venting points where the site has stage 1b vapour
recovery installed.
• 2m radius from the edge of an oil separator (petrol interceptor) access chamber.
• Within a 4.1m radius of a petrol delivery hose connection on a dispenser (with
stage 2 vapour recovery in operation).

Sponsored Links
Very interesting.

Thanks for that.

So depending on what kind of vapour recovery system is in place the area around the dispensera (4.1 meters if i read correctly?) is either zone 1 or zone 2?

We both could be right then Simon! either way, i wouldnt be happy if somebody was trying to jump start a car around the pumps. Zone 1 or zone 2 - bad enough either way.

I dont think ive ever discussed atex zoning on a forum either! i used to deal with ATEX/DSEAR areas regularly in my old job at Boots manufacturing in the alcohol storage and delivery rooms and alcohol based manufacturing areas. Within 5 meters of pumps and dispenser nozzles were treated as Zone 1 at Boots.

Very interesting.

Thanks for that.

So depending on what kind of vapour recovery system is in place the area around the dispensera (4.1 meters if i read correctly?) is either zone 1 or zone 2?

We both could be right then Simon! either way, i wouldnt be happy if somebody was trying to jump start a car around the pumps. Zone 1 or zone 2 - bad enough either way.

I dont think ive ever discussed atex zoning on a forum either! i used to deal with ATEX/DSEAR areas regularly in my old job at Boots manufacturing in the alcohol storage and delivery rooms and alcohol based manufacturing areas. Within 5 meters of pumps and dispenser nozzles were treated as Zone 1 at Boots.

My work is more involved with explosive dusts rather than vapours. But yes, I think we both could be right....

We have an ATEX area at my new place but its not part of my job to go in there so hopefully i wont ever have to go in there, not really bothered about working in such an environment. I know that im safe, but its others i worry about!

Sponsored Links
could be, although the engine in the Trans-am is larger at a whopping 7.5 litres! only does 8/9 miles per gallon

Sorted:

00000130_nude_girl_at_Petrol_Station_pv.jpg

well thats one way of sorting it. Actually a very nice and pleasing way to sort it. I think i would pay a few pence a litre more if a nice young lady was on hand to fill up my tank dressed like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back