a bit puzzled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been to a customers house,the water from the coldwater storage tank is overflowing,the ball valve is dripping so this is one cause for the overflowing water

no problem there fixing it

what confused me was that there was no thermostat on the hot water tank,so im wondering if the water is boiling to much and exiting via the vent pipe,so once again overflowing down the waste pipe,it seems to overflow mostly in the morning when the heating comes on,the hot water tank is new,so the coil must be fine,so its not overboiling,

going to fix the ballvalve first and keep an eye on it,see how it goes,any sugestions on the tank not having a thermostat,or will it be on the boiler side,i did not check to see what boiler is being used,hope this info is enough to help

Sponsored Links
wese said:
been to a customers house,the water from the coldwater storage tank is overflowing,the ball valve is dripping so this is one cause for the overflowing water

no problem there fixing it

what confused me was that there was no thermostat on the hot water tank,so im wondering if the water is boiling to much and exiting via the vent pipe,so once again overflowing down the waste pipe,it seems to overflow mostly in the morning when the heating comes on,the hot water tank is new,so the coil must be fine,so its not overboiling,

going to fix the ballvalve first and keep an eye on it,see how it goes,any sugestions on the tank not having a thermostat,or will it be on the boiler side,i did not check to see what boiler is being used,hope this info is enough to help

if there is no cylinder stat on, the hot water in cylinder will be controled by the boiler stat

probably gravity hot water which wouldn't have a cylinder stat, but be controlled by the boiler stat., there are lots of possible variations though where a cylinder stat isn't used...all old and outdated though.

Sponsored Links
thats what i thought,

if the overflow still runs any suggestions on what the culprit could be,he seems to think that water was coming out the vent pipe over the feed and expansion cistern,when replacing the ball valve i will turn the stat down to,see if that helps,

thanks for the quick reply b.o.bdole,thats the quickest ive ever had lol:cool: :cool: :LOL:

wese said:
thats what i thought,

if the overflow still runs any suggestions on what the culprit could be,he seems to think that water was coming out the vent pipe over the feed and expansion cistern,when replacing the ball valve i will turn the stat down to,see if that helps,

thanks for the quick reply b.o.bdole,thats the quickest ive ever had lol:cool: :cool: :LOL:

It won't, if thats the case the pipework is incorrectly configured...probably always has been but he has only just noticed because the ball valve is passing and causing overflow.

vent pipe<------150mm------>feed pipe<------>pump

not sure of what system is used kevplumb,did not check as was in rush,just checked ballvalve and present leak,im guessing its a indirect system

Check to see if your central heating header is higher than your cold water storage,if it is and repairing the ball valve fails to work it may mean the coil in your cylinder has pin holed.
As water will always find an equel level the water level in your cold water tank will rise as it trys to match that in the C/h header.
Dont think it will have anything to do with no stat,if no stat is fitted it will be controlled by the boiler stat,if this fails your CH header will boiler not you cold water storage. :idea: :idea:

++++++++++++++++++++++

IGNORE MY POST,just reread your original question and noticed that you say the cylinder is new and coil is fine
should read things all the way through,my wife always says i jump the gun !!
Apologes

no problem phil51 lol,thanks for the input everyone :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back