A "car jack/RSJ" for a garden shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a little shed sitting on a 6'x8'x6" approx concrete slab at the end of our garden, which was there when we bought the house. About eight years ago I tore the old shed down and replaced with a larger one (5'x7' approx).

Although I suspected that the concrete slab was less than level, I didn't think anything of it at the time, being both impatient and reluctant when it comes to DIY. However, over the years the shed has started to lean, and now in order to open the door I have to push the side of the shed to straighten it out.

I've been trying to think of ways to fix this wonky shed. There's about a 3" gap to the back and left of the shed, meaning I only have access to the front (short, door side) and the right (long, window side).

I think what I'm after is something like a cross between a car jack and a mini RSJ, maybe three of them, between the slab and the underside edge of the right side, to raise and support it into a truer level with the left. I don't want to have to tear down and replace this shed - it's a tiny garden and it was bad enough putting this one in. Any other solutions I've found online have involved attaching things to a wall and ratcheting it into position, and that's not going to work here.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
This sort of problem is usually because the shed can't be properly crossbraced at the door end. Ideally there would be a diagonal member but the door gets in the way. Even if the base was perfectly level it wouldn't be uncommon for the shed to develop a lean. Sheds are built pretty flimsily nowadays alas. Now that it is leaning the timbers will have tended to set in their new position and jacking the base up won't fix it.

So (like the articles you've read say) you'll need to find some way to put pressure on the downhill side of the shed and push it back vertical; preferably a bit past vertical. Then you need to brace the walls at the sides of the door. A possibility is to screw sheets of plywood from the jambs to the corner-posts. If it's just a light shed you might find that a couple of hefty mates will be enough to push it vertical while you screw the braces in.

To level the base it's usually quite easy to just pop a long length of timber under the corner, lever it up a bit and slip packing underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back