A complex problem?

It's unlikely that a dodgy appliance on a different circuit it to blame. If the connections at the CU are fine then look for the first joint after the CU. Possibly a junction box or ceiling rose. Maybe there is a loose connection there.

Sponsored Links
Is it just the lighting circuit - do table lamps plugged into the ring flicker?

stevesey said:
Is it just the lighting circuit - do table lamps plugged into the ring flicker?

Yes, all of the lights flicker (not constantly, and some times are worse than others, not due to load though). That's why initially, I was thinking more of a supply quality problem. The fact that I had a short outage, that didn't affect my neighbours, and didn't trip any MCB's, made me think it couldn't possibly be an internal problem.

Sponsored Links
might be the busbar loose, or main switch, or incoming cable - any of these connections can be loose in the CU.

Main switches can also wear, but usually only if they are very old.

Ok guys, here's a short summary of events so far....

1. Lights (both ring main lamps & celling lights) have been flickering intermittently for weeks..

2. Last week we had a short outage, which didn't affect our neighbours. The outage lasted 2 or 3 minutes, and none of the MCB's tripped.

3. Our 9kw shower developed faults and stopped working.

4. I loaded up the CU by turning on multiple appliances for 10 or so minutes, which eventually tripped the lights MCB.

5. I checked connections within the CU, all seems good.

6. Today, with very little load on the system, the main RCD tripped. It reset no problem, but it now looks like the electronic ignotion on our gas oven has been affected and has stopped working.....

Is this due to power surges, or supply quality, or do you think I have a major internal fault?

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these events, and no common denominator.

Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

If, as you say, some of your neighbours were also getting flickering lights, it's worth calling up your distributor and telling them so. Especially since you had a power cut. It's unlikely you'd get a power cut from internal equipment that wasn't obvious.

securespark said:
PaulMac07 said:
Help and advice would be much appreciated.

And the last 3 pages were.....?

The last 3 pages were very much appreciated help and advice, but I had added more information in the hope that you could further help and advise, sorry if it's asking too much. I didn't realise there was a 3 page limit.

sparkyspike said:
If, as you say, some of your neighbours were also getting flickering lights, it's worth calling up your distributor and telling them so. Especially since you had a power cut. It's unlikely you'd get a power cut from internal equipment that wasn't obvious.

Thanks mate, I couldn't understand why I could have a power outage, not affecting my neighbours, that didn't involve tripping of the RCD/MCB's.

I'll contact my supplier, thanks to all who contributed.

You might lose power from the supplier but the house either side of you may stay on.
This is unusual, but if for example there is a bad joint on the phase which supplys your house, then it may only effect every third house on your street.

Electricity is often distributed on an underground 3 phase cable, and each house is fed in turn from a different phase.

e.g.

House 1 : L1 phase
House 2 : L2 phase
House 3 : L3 phase
House 4 : L1 phase
House 5 : L2 phase
etc...

RF Lighting said:
You might lose power from the supplier but the house either side of you may stay on.
This is unusual, but if for example there is a bad joint on the phase which supplys your house, then it may only effect every third house on your street.

Electricity is often distributed on an underground 3 phase cable, and each house is fed in turn from a different phase.

e.g.

House 1 : L1 phase
House 2 : L2 phase
House 3 : L3 phase
House 4 : L1 phase
House 5 : L2 phase
etc...

Cheers for that, I understand the phase setup now. I've noticed that the flickering is at it's worst during peak times in the area (around 4-7pm) then it seems to settle down again. Our 2kw kettle really affects the frequency and intensity of the flicker during these times.

Hopefully the supplier can give me an answer, one way or another.

PaulMac07 said:
Our 2kw kettle really affects the frequency and intensity of the flicker during these times.

I remain of the opinion that the loose connection is inside your house. Just possibly on your house's tapping of the main. Your kettle would not have an effect upstream.

I had the same problem 5 years ago. I contacted Powergen/EON several times by phone & letter because my lights were flickering. They replied that it was because I live in an agricultural area. (I live on the edge of a town on an estate, and the nearest working farm is about 2 miles away)

So I lived with it. Then one morning I awoke at 2:00am noticed my alarm clock was off and discovered I had no power at all. Lights were on in other houses and so were the street lights. Called up EON who came out and dug the pavement up outside my house and found a bad connection. Power was restored within 2 hours. Neighbours were not too happy that they dug the road up in the middle of the night as none of them were effected. Later I was told that my outside lights (PIR) had been seen flashing on and off shortly before the failure. Don't know why it finally gave up in the middle of the night though when power usage is minimal.

After the repair, all is fine no more flickering lights.

Last September, exactly the same thing happened to my next door neighbour. I was OK this time, other than that I was on holiday and my power was disconnected whilst the repair was made. Eon wouldn't turn it back on without my presence and didn't contact the neighbour who had the phone number for my keyholder and so our two freezers defrosted nicely.

There was an incident around our way where the neutral at the sub station was floating. Supply voltages were swinging between about 100 and 400 Volts as the loads on each phase varied :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back