A couple of Hive questions…..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to get a Hive active heating and hot water setup. I have a Vaillant heat only boiler with unvented hot water. S plan system. I have a Honeywell ST9400C programmer and a DT90E room thermostat.

I already have a hive hub for our lights and sockets etc although I understand it’s not needed unless you want to control the heating via the app.

I've had a read up and watched a few YouTube vids and as far as I can see, I just need to replicate the wiring that’s on my existing programmer backplate to the hive receiver backplate. I had a peek at my wiring today and this is it. Have I got that right?

ADA8ED3B-F8FA-4272-8A12-A6A6A97C95AC.jpeg 099F94F6-7B4A-4156-99E3-096E1A225A4A.jpeg

I've also read that unless you modify the wiring, you have leave the existing thermostat connected and set on maximum temperature. I just have a live/switched live to my thermostat. If I want to disconnect and remove my thermostat, would it just be a matter of disconnecting the live and switched live to the thermostat from the wiring terminal block and fitting a link where I have marked in green?

F39B330F-2C77-4234-A20E-9A3D61471567.jpeg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your wiring is correct, cant really tell about the link, if you can find the grey wire from 4 at the programmer in your wiring centre, connect that to the brown wire on the CH zone valve and that is the roomstat by-passed and just remove the wires from the room stat

I recently self installed a dual channel hive to control my heating and hot water. The controller I replaced is the same as yours. Yes the wires from the ST9400C just transfer to the corresponding terminals on the hive receiver.

My thermostat had just the 2 wires also. For me it was easier/more convenient to remove these from the thermostat, join them together in a connector block and tuck them away in the recess in the wall. The hive thermostat I sited where the old one was removed from so the mounting plate conviniently covered this up.

Sponsored Links
My thermostat had just the 2 wires also. For me it was easier/more convenient to remove these from the thermostat, join them together in a connector block and tuck them away in the recess in the wall. The hive thermostat I sited where the old one was removed from so the mounting plate conviniently covered this up.
Thanks. That would be the same as me disconnecting them and bridging them out at the connector block. Just means that the wires in the wall to the thermostat wouldn’t be live any more. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back