A curve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to form and plaster a tight curve to match a curved kitchen unit,

I'm not sure wether to go for battens screwed to brick work and bend the PB or build it up with blocks and hardwall ? What you think? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Years ago, the old plasterers would have thought nothing of temporarily fixing 2 or 3 thin battens round the brick/block/lath curve, then using them as guides, (screeds), plaster out the wall with backing/undercoat plaster using a straightedge working from the screeds, then go over it with a darby. Remove the thin temporary battens when you have the shape, filll in the gaps where they were, float everything up, let it all set up , then apply the finishing coats. I do it that way too. ;)

cut out a template ply wood to match the curve you want then fill out with hardwall then use the guide to rule up the wall sorted
If your good on the trowel forming this sort of curve will be easy

good trick with the plaster board is to wet it over both sides lean it agent bench ect with a weight on it and and it will start to crve Or
cut slits in the back about 2" apart and puch agenst the battons and fix it

or just buy the boards pre cut just for this sort of job from BG but dont think thay will sell a small amount

Sponsored Links
cut out a template ply wood to match the curve you want then fill out with hardwall then use the guide to rule up the wall sorted
If your good on the trowel forming this sort of curve will be easy

good trick with the plaster board is to wet it over both sides lean it agent bench ect with a weight on it and and it will start to crve Or
cut slits in the back about 2" apart and puch agenst the battons and fix it

or just buy the boards pre cut just for this sort of job from BG but dont think thay will sell a small amount
or get glassroc boards from bg

in what way buddy never heard of that now one on me sounds good

Like RC suggests, but the bendy plasic curtain rails are more flexible than battens for some curves. I wouldnt suggest buying ones for this , but if you come across them being thrown out, use them. THey also come out easy , epscially if you spray a little veg oil on them (if you don't have mould oil)

looked for a link but this is the best I could find

http://www.fashioninteriors.co.uk/s...=google-base&gclid=CJGC7tjR87gCFbHKtAodpzYA0A

Great tip using a curtain/plastic rail as a bendy batten/screed Micilin. Easier to release too when they're finished with, especially with the oil on them. They would cause very little damage to the coating when removed. Great for very tight internal/external curves/shapes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back