Bending Battens to Curved Bay

Datarebal, could you elaborate on the top flashing a bit

The frame should be sat on a lead tray which would be turned up behind the cill and dressed down the outside over the tiles.
Set your battens out to allow for an eave tile which is basically the reverse of the bottom

Sponsored Links
The frame should be sat on a lead tray which would be turned up behind the cill and dressed down the outside over the tiles.
Set your battens out to allow for an eave tile which is basically the reverse of the bottom

Wish I'd have thought of that :confused: but the original tiles weren't laid out with an eaves row at the top, and it lasted okay, got my fingers crossed for the winter now hehe

at least future bay DIY'ers will get the benefit :D

That's just gone whoosh straight over my head. I can picture the eaves tile set up but I didn't get the frame bit.

I'm picturing the lead being behind the very top batten and then folded down so it forms a sort or J shape once it's all together.

It's standard good practice .
The frame should be sat on/in a lead tray .

I'll see if I can find a diagram .

Sponsored Links
Wish I'd have thought of that :confused: but the original tiles weren't laid out with an eaves row at the top, and it lasted okay, got my fingers crossed for the winter now hehe

at least future bay DIY'ers will get the benefit :D

As long as the flashing is big enough to compensate then it will be ok on that front.
I am not comfy with no tray though . What was there before ?

Nice job bending the battens by the way ..

I'm still clueless what to do with that haha. I'm just seeing a chimney apron when I'm visualising it.

All mine had when I ripped it off was some 150mm lead screwed into the top of the tile. It looked awful even from 20m away!

I might have to go and dismantle someone's bay window to understand!

No you are seeing a tray for a straight single window. the principle is the same for a bay.
A piece of lead screwed to the top course is a bodge.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even know that they made such a thing, I've never seen one fitted on any house round here.

I'd imagine that the entire bay window needs to be removed in order to fit one of these after fabricating one so it can sit upon the tray? Would require a huge amount of work in my case.

I don't have a lot of room between the outside lip of the sill and the top tile so am hoping that lead clips will go in and hold the flashing without it looking gash.

I'm going to have a go at bending the battens again if it ever stops raining.

For the record, I had nothing to do with the screwed lead.

As long as the flashing is big enough to compensate then it will be ok on that front.
I am not comfy with no tray though . What was there before ?
Thanks, the lead flashing overlaps more than it did previously. I've done the battens the same as the original 1930's except the old ones were thinner and wider. Having looked at many in my neighbourhood, it's seems that's the way they have all been done

Here's a quick sketch
IMG_20200824_213716_595.jpg

It is poor detailing and incorrect .

Looking at neighbours means little tbh.
Your windows are not original and that's probably when the bodge occurred.

It is poor detailing and incorrect .

Looking at neighbours means little tbh.
Your windows are not original and that's probably when the bodge occurred.

Agreed, short of taking the window out, the only way I think I can improve on it is to fix a batten onto the horizontal timber, but stepped down. Then profile the flashing to the shape of the step, thereby creating a sort of tray.

Agreed, short of taking the window out, the only way I think I can improve on it is to fix a batten onto the horizontal timber, but stepped down. Then profile the flashing to the shape of the step, thereby creating a sort of tray.
That was exactly my thoughts, short of removing the window is there any other way?

I found the lead flashing to be a bit cumbersome handling it at over 1m lengths, harder to curve and harder to wrestle it into place. Two people would be much easier for that job.

Last edited:
Yes it should have been there .
The window was replaced, chances are the original was split .
I expect rather than fitting a proper replacement ,a fake was fudged to look right.

My moto, find a way to do it, not a way not to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back