Question about roofing tile battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am posting this on here as I am sure the expert roofers can answer this.

What is (generally)the quality of bulk roofing tile batten? I appreciate that this can differ from supplier to supplier but I am basically after finding out if there is any real difference between lengths of treated roofing tile batten and 'normal' treated PAR.

Is tile batten generally poorer quality wood? (i.e. knots, splits etc.) and is there any difference in how it has been treated (I assume not given its function)

Thanks for any help on this one.

B

Sponsored Links
Roof tile batten is thicknessed for purpose, i.e. it deals with the tile lugs/nibs and the subsequent nail size associated with said tiles.

It is uniformly matched across the board. So if you run out from one supplier you can make do with other different suppliers. It also helps when marrying into existing battens.

'Gold' tile batten is a premium brand and is less knotty than other cheaper brands.

Thanks freddymercurystwin.

I did find that earlier thread but it doesn't really take me any further forward.

In short, I am looking at constructing items which will need to be treated wood. I have priced it up using normal treated lengths but I noticed that bulk packs of treated tile batten (size is almost identical) come much cheaper.

The items are not structural but I didn't want to buy a load of the cheaper tile batten only to find half of it was unuseable (warped, split knotty) and/or that the treatment dictated it would have a shorter lifespan.

I was under the impression that the bulk tile batten would likely be of a lesser quality (hence why it is a lot cheaper) but wanted to be sure by asking the experts on here.

Thanks again.

B

Sponsored Links
I thanked you as well (using the THANK facility) noseall but you posted whilst I was typing my reply to freddy out hence why your thank you is not in the body of that post.
8)
Only joshin dude, I'm really not that sensitive. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back