10mm gap between old and new batten, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have laid a new membrane and battens on my roof.

My neighbour roof joins with mine.

The neighbours battens are about 21-22mm, so using 25mm battens seemed fine when butted against the neighbours old ones.

However, in one particular section the difference between the neighbours batten and mine is 10mm (please see pic)

I am assuming that the concrete tile won't sit right here. So could any of the experts advise on what i need to do here?

Or will it be fine if the tile is nailed into the batten?

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_151719984~2.jpg
    IMG_20240106_151719984~2.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ease the thinner one up and pack .
Then tile it .
It should be ok
What do you mean by ease the thinner one?

I'm a layman, so i don't quite get the lingo.

When you say 'pack' are you saying that i should place a material on top of the short batten? If so, what material would be best and how should it be fixed down onto the existing batten?

Raise old batten up so it is level with your new batten and place packing between it and the rafter. Plastic shims will do for packing.
1705072713462.jpeg
1705072713462.jpeg

Someone has hammered a brand new galv' spike in there, which are a pig to remove. The end of that existing batten will split and be useless. I'd be more inclined now to fit a taper on top or some such. Either that of cut the exiting back a wee bit and re fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back