Bending Battens to Curved Bay

Sponsored Links
decent quality batten, either cut in shorter sections or ply strips

Strips of 9mm ply could work just as well.

Do you guys think an exterior ply would hold clay tiles in places securely for decades, as I think it's the easiest of all the options to achieve.

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to seal the cut edges of the ply with something

Last edited:
There is no reason why should not just ply the whole area and nail the tiles direct to ply.
There are plenty of vertical tile hung facades that are or have been simply nailed with no battens some 100 years old plus.
Have you a picture of the project ? maybe there is another option.

Scottish roofs have for the most part sarking boards fitted as standard.
Boards fitted vertically to turrets and slated/tiled without battens.
Tiling or slating direct to ply is murder due to the bounce, vibration..tiles liable to shatter.
Better using 6" or 9" sarking board.

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why should not just ply the whole area and nail the tiles direct to ply.
There are plenty of vertical tile hung facades that are or have been simply nailed with no battens some 100 years old plus.
Have you a picture of the project ? maybe there is another option.

Scottish roofs have for the most part sarking boards fitted as standard.
Boards fitted vertically to turrets and slated/tiled without battens.
Tiling or slating direct to ply is murder due to the bounce, vibration..tiles liable to shatter.
Better using 6" or 9" sarking board.

Thanks, so the sarking boards could be fixed onto the timber frame and then the tiles nailed to the sarking boards, are they quite flexible?

I would batten that with 25 x 50 and nail the tiles back, cut the battens and you still get three batten fixings.

I would batten that with 25 x 50 and nail the tiles back, cut the battens and you still get three batten fixings.

I'll definitely consider that, the photo was from the right-hand side, so only three sections of a five section bay are showing.
The bay was previously tiled to a curve, as are all the bays on my street, I imagine that straight batten sections will mean that the bay would no longer be tiled on a curve but more in straight sections!?

Last edited:
I would have expected 1 1/2 x 3/4 .. but 2 x 1 (25 x 50 ) will work and stronger there is no need to bend anything on that bay, I had expected an eyebrow or a proper curve

I would have expected 1 1/2 x 3/4 .. but 2 x 1 (25 x 50 ) will work and stronger there is no need to bend anything on that bay, I had expected an eyebrow or a proper curve

The battens I took off were single length and curved all the way around, I've seen some identical bays that have been retiled nearby, and the finish is not as good as the original, specifically, tiles jutting out at angles, presumably where straight sections of batten meet. Even though the bay appears as straight-line sections, the result has to be like a circle segment

The first picture below being a more sectional bay, the second being truly curved

Last edited:
The pictures are what you have and what you would like. the curved is constructed to achieve that.
ply would be the easiest method, but tiling prowess will govern the finish.

The pictures are what you have and what you would like. the curved is constructed to achieve that.

The first picture is just one I pulled from the internet, the second picture more accurately represents what the bay was like, but with ninety-year-old tiles before I tore them down to insulate and retile.

First picture is the same construction as yours. The second with the Marley Concrete plain tiles on is built differently and is wider .

Have fun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back