A decent garden hose ,,,,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About garden hoses.

I've an outdoor tap - and my pressure washer requires a hose to connect it to the tap.

I've got some (old - perhaps 20+ years old) hose... with joins... This hosepipe is robust (except for at the joins) but is also heavy and difficult to coil/store. I can get my pressure washer to work with it - despite it leaking at the joins... but it is cumbersome and the leaks are undesirable.

I bought a cheap lightweight hose as a replacement (it looked a bit like this one). I found this much more convenient to coil/store... but it only lasted a day before the hose itself split and failed. This cheap hose was replaced - but the replacement didn't last any longer before it similarly split and failed.

I'd like a decent hosepipe that doesn't leak. I'd like it to last - though I'd prefer one that is easier to handle than the old-fashioned hose that is extremely stiff - especially when it's cold. I'm aware of the trick of running hot water through the hose - but this isn't convenient as I only have a cold tap outdoors.

Can anyone recommend a good quality hosepipe? Ideally I'd like ~30m of hose that can be easily coiled and stored... I'd like it to be robust - but I'd also like it to be flexible, convenient and easy to use.

Any ideas?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I needed to replace my main hose and, after looking around, I bought

I wanted to be able to get half-way down my garden so I needed a 50 metre hose. Some that looked okay were not that long.

I bought it maybe two years ago and it has been fine. I have it on a reel so unwinding it not that hard, but it is 50m long so it inevitable weighs a fair bit. In cold weather it is less stiff that the previous one, but noticeable stiffer than in the summer.

but it only lasted a day before the hose itself split and failed. This cheap hose was replaced - but the replacement didn't last any longer before it similarly split and failed.

That was my own experience of them - almost single use.

I now use the not too expensive reinforced dark green pipe, which has never been a problem, apart from in the cold weather - or when it needs to be more flexible, Some softer, yellow hose, which is similar to post #2.

Thanks for the replies... The cross-section of that Hozelok hose makes it look similarly cumbersome to the (joined) hose I have right now.

Are all the 'fabric' hoses as useless as the cheap one(s) I bought from ebay?

Sponsored Links
I can vote for the hose lock one. I have it on a reel, yes its heavy but does not kink and I have had it for about 10 years although I had to cut it 3 inch shorter near the gun last year as it was damaged and had a bludge that was squirting water.
I don't think you can get non cumbersome and also robust hoses.

I've got a couple of spring retractable ones (one for the front and one for the back) one is a hozelock and the other a homebase copy.

They're not cheap (but can be picked up on eBay etc for less). Best things I ever bought for the garden especially as my wife is into gardening and waters every day in the summer.

Screenshot_20240128-220239.png

I bought a manual wind reel, intended to be carried around, but which I mounted on the wall, above one of my garden taps. Fixed on the wall, and ready plugged in, with a 50m hose on it, means it's handy for both garden watering, and fire fighting should it be needed. Aside from that, I have a second tap, with a shorter hose on it, handy for washing the drive and the car etc.. A third tap, I installed last year, has an automatic drip watering system on it, to water the flower beds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back