A dog related fence question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have a fence of a concrete post and 6 foot waney panels,but my new neighbours have a bulldog that wants to eat me.

When I go into my garden the dog barks,growls and hurls itself at the fence.
Clearly the fence is not designed to keep a large angry dog at bay.

Am I now expected to pay for improvements to the fence to keep out the neighbours dog?

Sponsored Links
No. It's your neighbour's responsibility to contain their animal on their own property.

Hi,thanks for the reply.

So if I wanted to take out a damaged fence panel for a couple of days to repair it,the neighbours should keep their dog out of my garden?

I personally would think you an idiot if you knowingly removed a fence panel for a couple of days with a killer dog trying to eat you (PMSL)

Or is this just yet another neighbourhood dispute ???

You can get rapid set post mix that is more than capable of supporting panels or rails etc. After 40 mins

As for keeping the dog out their garden Why would they need to
As long as it is under control the neighbour has no need to keep it out

Sponsored Links
If it is YOUR fence you have a right to expect them not to damage it (eg football, bikes, dog). If you wish to change a panel, can you not slide the old one out of its slot and the new one in, while the dog is indoors?

You can do with your fence whatever you wish - if you don't want to have a fence, you don't have to have one. If you want to remove one or more panels, you're free to do so and it's your neighbour's responsibility to contain the dog. If they fail to do so, call the local dog warden and report an aggressive stray in your garden.

Depending on your relationship with the neighbour, it might be worth discussing with them the damage to your fence and that you're not prepared to repair/replace damage caused by the dog. If they can't stop the dog trashing the fence by physical restraint or by training, then they should erect a dog-proof fence on their side of the boundary.

Ok then,thanks for the replies.

It's not a neighbour dispute,not yet and never if a can help it - I'm just wondering how best to deal with repairing my fence.

I wanted to take out a panel and repair it,but I'll have to get a new panel and fit that instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back