A dumb question - new carpets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bare with me on this.

We're having new carpets/underlay fitted this week and I'm need of cleaning old bits of plaster, etc that are stuck to the floor boards. There's a fair amount of dust too, so will be running round making sure this is all cleared and ready.

I'm wondering, at least the lazy/curious side of me, how clean do these floorboards need to be? I'm guessing underlay isn't going to be a seal on the old floor boards, so anything like dust will eventually penetrate through?

Sponsored Links
Remove all 'snots' of plaster with a scrapper, then go round and vacuum the whole floor removing all dust and debris. Then you can use a damp cloth to remove any remaining dust from the floor.

Andy

Sponsored Links
plaster under the carpet will gradually crumble away when you walk on it, then the dust will gradually rise up

After scraping and vacuuming, try wet-mopping the floor. When you look in the bucket you will be amazed how much dirt and dust came off it.

Having it mopped clean may make it easier to spot any remaining bits of plaster.

I also like to use pincers to remove any old tacks and staples, they will hurt your knees while you are working, and also the carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back