A few complications - Ply or cement board?

Not the same material, but I was amazed at how stiff a plywood diaphragm floor, made from two skins of 9mm plywood, could be when I installed a load of it a few years back (far stiffer than a single 18mm sheet would be). The downside to that was the need to use about 300 ring nails per installed sheet and use a very particular nailing pattern. When we fixed 12mm cement fibreboard over the top (screwed at 300mm centres) it seemed to not make much difference one way or the other. Maybe something to ask the S/Es on here?

But I reckon that adding a sheet of cement board to the top of 18mm plywood could potentially increase the stiffness, but from what I've read it would need a similar nailing or screwing pattern to that used for ply overboarding, i.e 325 ring nails per sheet on 100mm centres or about 153 screws on 150mm centres.

Of course the joints would need to overlap and installation would be a bear without a gas or compressed air nail gun (I wouldn't even consider screws TBH)
It’s todays job. Going to be putting a lot of screws into the ply. I read somewhere it’s max 300mm spacing on screws.

The cement board apparently only needs 8 screws per board because it’s glued down. It’s just screwed to make sure the glue takes well. I’m using the Sts stuff.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back