A Few Electrical Questions

As you are not to earth the alarms, please don't cut the earth back.
Terminate it in an insulated terminal block and sleeve the wire in yellow/green sleeving

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the document. I have given it a good read.

The alarms I have bought where suggested to my by the Building Control officer and where specified on the drawings I had done so I dont think that will be a problem.

The only other thing I need to do is connect them up to the CU If I pay an expert to do this and test the whole system how much would something like this cost.

Thanks.

Qedelec said:
Terminate it in an insulated terminal block and sleeve the wire in yellow/green sleeving

Do you meen keep the earth intact along the whole lengh of the cable up to the last interlinked smoke alarm? If so what happens to the earth then?

Ta

Sponsored Links
con1_uk said:
Qedelec said:

Do you meen keep the earth intact along the whole lengh of the cable up to the last interlinked smoke alarm? If so what happens to the earth then?

Ta

Yes, and just terminate it in a choc block, its so you don't have an earth wire which isn't actually connected to earth, which is someone decided to install something that needs an earth on the circuit, if they don't test it, the fiting is un-earthed, if they do, they curse you as they open up fittings in order to restore earth continutity

Oh I get you.

The only other thing I can installon this circuit is more of the same smoke alarms which wont need earthing. I cut the earths back and insulated them with tape so not to short anything. Given current setup what should I do with the earth on the CU side?

Thanks for the replys. :D

Im afraid you should have done as Adam said. When/if?? the circuit is tested the electrician will be unable to take an R1-R2 or earth loop reading at the end of the circuit due to lack of continuity.
In turn this will produce a nice cross on the schedule of inspections test sheet under "presence of circuit protective conductors".

I could still strip back and connect the earths together with them chocolate blcoks. Will this then pass?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back