A few pics...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been clearing my phone out a little and came across a few pics I don't think I have posted.

Rodents.....
1266859953.jpg

1266859954.jpg

A rough DIY'ers install. How can they think they have done a good job?
1266860183.jpg

1266860317.jpg

A poorly terminated SWA at a masterseal socket, with a PIR light fed directly from the socket. The PIR light was actually fed in 5 core flex, although looks like 1.5mm 3 core. PIR has seen better days too!
1266860442.jpg

An early 17th edition install, using up some MEM split loaders from stock. There is a single main switch in the meter box.
1266860530.jpg

An old voltage operated ELCB installation. Notice the peak and off peak circuits are both protected. A little bit of an odd one.
1266860729.jpg

The above install had a PME conversion and a new CU. I used an MK they where on an offer at the local wholesaler at the time. Would usually have used an MEM, but had none in stock at our unit, and it would have meant travelling into town.
Not the neatest TBH, but a fairly standard 'get it in' job :LOL:
There is no bonding cable present in the pic, but oil and water MEB's where added shortly after. You can see the old 6mm water bond to airing cupboard...
1266860731.jpg

1266860730.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks neat enough to me!

What's that old-looking black box to the right of the new board in the last picture? I can't see it on the original wide shot, is it something you've moved from elsewhere?

EDIT: Ah! It's just me getting my scales wrong, you've moved it to the right :D

The metal box is the transformer for an "Electro Osmotic Damp Proof Course" - there are loads of these fitted in cottages around here.

A cable is run around the wall (usually chased in inside horizontally), and the wire is bent to form an anode or electrode and pushed into holes drilled into the wall.

It is not often seen installed these days, other than into very old structures likes churches and old bridges etc. I have no idea how effective they are, but the cottage was not damp. I relocated the box. It would have been nice to place it in a new enclosure really.

http://www.timberwise.co.uk/our-ser...p-proofing/timberwise-electro-osmotic-system/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back