A few questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a new house and the consumer unit was replaced recently along with some other small jobs. I have a few questions about the work done only because I have heard different things from people about what's right and wrong:

1. We have a 15 way metal RCBO consumer unit and the electrician has brought all the cables in the rear of the consumer unit via two large knockouts. These holes are left open... is this a risk?

2. We had power brought out to the garage via a 6mm cable and a 32A MCB (not rcbo) as there is a separate consumer unit at the garage end with RCD protection. The armoured cable is brought in the house and jointed to 6mm twin and earth under the floor that then goes to the consumer unit... seen as the armoured is not going directly to the consumer unit is this safe not having RCD protection for the cable in the house?

Thanks for any replies in advance

Sponsored Links
If the twin and earth is concealed and less than 50mm from the surface, you may have a problem.

Which also means that if it's more than 50mm from the surface (i.e. clipped well out of the way of nails/screws) then you may not have a problem :)

And also means if it’s in a floor void, and then surface on the wall to the consumer unit, it’s fine too.

Sponsored Links
1. Seams the normal way of doing it and meets regulations (bizzarly)

2. Difficult to tell without seeing it. Doesn't sound that bad though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back