a few (simple I hope) heating questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, we are approaching our second winter season in an older house. THe top two floors are heated by a gas hot water boiler. I have, until today, neglected to bleed the system. I started on the only third floor radiator. The air kept coming and eventually slowed almost to a stop. I close this one and moved to the radiator directly below on the second floor. This radiator hissed air for a few seconds and I got water. The remainder of the rediators on the second floor were fine. I bled the third floor some more but again, never got any water. I beleive the home inspector told me as I moved in that the system would fill itself but am not certain about this. Is there anything I can do to tell if there is sufficient water in the system?

Does the hotwater in this system run in serial? (I assume no) Will shutting off a single radiator prevent flow throughout the system? (again I believe not)

Finally, the pump on my boiler has a note to lubricate the pump and motor bearings with 1/8 oz of 'lubricating oil' once per season. Can I use motor oil for this or is there a more appropriate lubricant?

Sorry for the long message. Thanks in advance for any who read and repond th this.

Sponsored Links
this is basically a uk forum so the bit about the pump ???? we dont oil ours
however the bit about the rads would tend to suggest your head tank is empty
i assume open vented system ? :D

no, it is a closed system.
I hope that I am not in bad form to post to a UK forum. I kinda of assumed the machanics work wherever.
I suspect that the previous owners had also neglected to bleed the radiators and that this one was totally empty as a result. I think the third floor room would get warm enough even if it lacked a radiator so no one might have noticed that it wasn't heating properly.

your definition of a closed system i assume is our def of sealed system
so there should be a filling point somewhere and a pressure guage?
bear with me the last time i was talking to somebody from your side of the pond i inadvertantly insulted her
dont want to go down that road again :D

Sponsored Links
Have no worries about insulting me, my wife does that plenty and I am quite thick skinned.
As far as a filling point, there is a water line flowing into the boiler and a confusing loop of pipes running out of the boiler in between the pump, and expansion tank. There are valves aplenty in this system.

oh and I wish to thank you for responding kevplumb. I find the internet wonderful for help my ever growing list of questions. I have had trouble finding information about my heatiing so I really appreciate someone knowledgeable to give me advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back