A Generation Game..literally.

M

Mickymoody

I'm not that old, but know of old ways; I am retro, so someone post an idea, or invention, then let a young person answer as to what it is, then the young person states a product, that the older person might not be aware of..

So, a nice 78 shellac black disk..anyone know what that is? Under the age of say 25?

Sponsored Links
Don't think we have anyone that young. Even Crafty's got pubes these days.

You could try asking some of the youngsters on here " What product consists of a 7" disk of black (usually) vinyl?" and they wouldn't have a clue.
Some would have difficulty with, " What product consists of paper coated with an emulsion of silver chloride and silver bromide salts?"

Yea, and what about that hard, smooth, crinkly paper they put in the council and school toilets and those great big blunt needles they used in the dentists.
Naa, they wouldn't believe you!

Sponsored Links
I'm not that old, but know of old ways; I am retro, so someone post an idea, or invention, then let a young person answer as to what it is, then the young person states a product, that the older person might not be aware of..

Hi Micky

I have a suggestion for an invention from the old days, that you may not have seen or heard of for a while -

WORK :D ;)

Yeah, I remember the time when working down pits for 26 hours a day, when 3 generations of the same family worked in't job, but Maggie the milk snatcher made everyone unemployed, do you remember?

I've been for 3 interviews this month, but jobs are one of those rare things thesedays. Especially in the service industry, people have jobs named IT consultant, or assistant, where in reality they are non jobs.

However did we make snide underhand comments before the internet was invented fekarrs? Calling people ecky bem in the playground. Grow up.

I for one am starting to get a bit self-concious using the phrase "sounding like a broken record" with anyone under the age of 25.

I've begun replacing it with "Sounding like a corrupt MP3 file" in official correspondence.

I for one am starting to get a bit self-concious using the phrase "sounding like a broken record" with anyone under the age of 25.

I've begun replacing it with "Sounding like a corrupt MP3 file" in official correspondence.

That is an excellent example!

I like the way that Nintendo re-release a version of Mario, because kids don't know platform games. Games are too Hollywood based, and have cut scenes that distract from the gameplay.

The youth will wonder what an 8", then 5.25" and 3", and 3.5" floppies are on about?????

Goodness knows that they would associate Winchester with a hard disk?

Ah, but what about one of these...

Chaps of a certain age (30-40 years old) will remember this with fondness, or a great deal of envy as they cost an absolute bomb back then.

(This is one of the new ones, of course - I'm now at the age where other people my age are the ones who make the decisions about what awesome stuff the companies should be making!)

Remember to PARK the heads before you shut down the system... you don't want to crash the hard-drive if you move the base unit. ;)

Can't remember the last time I heard about a hard-drive "crashing"... nowadays they just "fail".

Personally, I can't wait to see all the cool stuff that hasn't been invented, that I'll never get my head around because I'll be too old whilst my 8 year old grandchildren operate it like professionals.

Remember to PARK the heads before you shut down the system... you don't want to crash the hard-drive if you move the base unit. ;)

Can't remember the last time I heard about a hard-drive "crashing"... nowadays they just "fail".

Personally, I can't wait to see all the cool stuff that hasn't been invented, that I'll never get my head around because I'll be too old whilst my 8 year old grandchildren operate it like professionals.

I've still got an Amstrad 2386, that needs to be parked, it could be used to access the internet..but other - a Nintendo Wii - been there done that, a Philips CDi, a remote control to control the console.

a Philips CDi, a remote control to control the console.

I had a Commodore CDTV - loved the fact I could play Amiga games on it but was wow'd by the video-CD playback of the CDi with added MPEG card. I saw one demonstrated in a computer shop in Tottenham Court Road when I was 12, playing a Star Trek film.

Sponsored Links
Back