A good kitchen light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,
Our kitchen has been blessed with those blasted downlighters that provide us with nothing but shadows.
We have 2 circuits with 4 x 50w on each. I would like to put all 8 on 1 circuit and then on the other circuit chuck up a couple of good light emitting lights.

Im happy with the wiring but I cant seem to find a light other than a strip fluorescent light.
So i guess im asking for a kitchen light that:
-Actually emits a very good light
-Cheapish to buy
-Energy saving if possible.

Can anyone help please?

Update:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71298...e-Wall-Ceiling/Chrome-Circular-Ceiling-Light# - These say a maximum of 60w, could i put a 100w energy saving bulb in there to boost the light?

Sponsored Links
Well. you now know why us sparks hate downlights :LOL:

strip fluorescent ticks all of the boxes - how about a circular fluorescent of some sort. Search for 2D light fittings in google

I have that exact light in the bathroom.
it takes a screw in bulb and is VERY shallow..
had to fit a candle shaped lamp..

doesn't give off a great deal of light..

if you have countertop shadows then you want countertop ( under cabinet ) lighting to illuminate the work surfaces.

Sponsored Links
I have that exact light in the bathroom.
it takes a screw in bulb and is VERY shallow..
had to fit a candle shaped lamp..

doesn't give off a great deal of light..

if you have countertop shadows then you want countertop ( under cabinet ) lighting to illuminate the work surfaces.

Ah thanks for that Col',
Im thinking that strip lights may be the way to go. Our kitchen has had an extension and the ceiling is split into 2 so im thinking of going for the single strip version and putting one in each side... 2x twin would be a bit excessive on the power usage, especially as they will only operate together.
I just hope 70w on each side will be bright enough :) Is there energy saving fluorescents? ;)

decisions decisions...

FLUORESCENT IS ENERGY SAVING!!!!!!!

Those little CFLs you buy (or are sent free in the post, or given by nergy suppliers) are energy saving lamps, these are little fluorescent lamps coiled up into a smaller space.

The good news for chrislee765 is that they are available in GU10 format, to replace your existing downlights. The bad news is they are about £8 each.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...x/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/GUCFL_Lamp/index.html

Unfortunately they have a long warm up time, comparable with a streetlight. But they spread the light much better than halogens, and with these you may not need an additional source of light.

The other issue is that they are slightly longer than halogens, but fittings are available that counter this issue. If your lights have a retaining ring and flylead for the bulb, then these fittings may already be suitable.

If you decide on fluorescent strips (by far the best source of worklight), then replace all your halogens with LED lamps (also on the site i linked to), as you will no longer need them as functional lights. You said "2 x 70w" to light the kitchen as being excessive, however, consider you have 400 watts of halogen at the moment. ;) You dont need both. With LEDs, the spots will be consuming about 20-40 watts, if that. Then you'll have your 140 watts of fluorescent which will be more than enough.

Buy electronic fittings, not the old magnetic ones. Magnetic ones have big chokes that vibrate and hum! Yuck. Electronic are silent. I'm not aware that TLC stock them for some reason. Try a google search for electronic fluorescent fitting.

Track Lighting!! Seems to be making a come back, some very nice styles available now, just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back