A LITTLE TINGLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put up three of the eight downlighters for our through lounge in what was the hallway. Switched power back on and everything worked fine.
Now for the new three gang dimmer I thought, asked her indoors to knock off the power, rewiring switch going well until I went to connect lounge lights, when I felt a tingle, yep power was still on, thank god for me pirelli slippers !! Just can't work out why nothing tripped out.
Moral is ALWAYS TURN OFF THE POWER YOURSELF AND CHECK BEFORE WORKING.
Mind, it woke me up !!!

Sponsored Links
2nd rule of saftey, make sure power is off, 1st rule of safety check "tester is working"

This is why I think all C/U door cover should come with a lockable key as standard which then you can put the key into your pocket while working on electric.

I have to apologise to her indoors now :oops: :oops: :oops:
On changing central ceiling rose in lounge I turned off the power and ended up getting another tingle off one of the two live ring wires until I turned off the upstairs m.c.b.
Something , somewhere is wired to upstairs (?) methinks.
But why is nothing tripping out ?

Sponsored Links
nothing will trip because it has no reason to (unless you have an rcd)

i should suspect the hall light or the hall light switch wiring, as that is where up meets down (landing light)

but its your fault for not following rule #2 and rule# 1 (see posts above)

breezer said:
nothing will trip because it has no reason to (unless you have an rcd)

i should suspect the hall light or the hall light switch wiring, as that is where up meets down (landing light)

but its your fault for not following rule #2 and rule# 1 (see posts above)
We have an rcd in c/u (100mA). N I always thought the back of the hand (licked to aid conductivity !!) was the best way to check for live cables :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

breezer said:
100mA rcd bit old then? the "norm" is 30 mA

100mA RCDs Are used for "Time delay" Applications, Same as 300mA RCDs :D

paulh53 said:
100mA RCDs Are used for "Time delay" Applications, Same as 300mA RCDs :D
Is the "time delay" so you get chance to realise you should've turned the mains off ? ;)

its to allow discresion between the 30ma and itself, ie if yo fitted a cu in your garage 300ft down the garden with a 30ma, you dont want them both trippin! cos then you would have to trudge your way back up to the main on3e, which in the mean time has disconnected all your sockets in the house :LOL: great! if you have 100ma and a 30ma downstream, the 100ma wont trip, the 30ma will, so you only have to turn it on at point of use.
but in this case, probrably been installed because when it was put in it wasent a reg to have 30ma protection on the sockets

AR

supersparks said:
its to allow discresion between the 30ma and itself, ie if yo fitted a cu in your garage 300ft down the garden with a 30ma, you dont want them both trippin! cos then you would have to trudge your way back up to the main on3e, which in the mean time has disconnected all your sockets in the house :LOL: great! if you have 100ma and a 30ma downstream, the 100ma wont trip, the 30ma will, so you only have to turn it on at point of use.
but in this case, probrably been installed because when it was put in it wasent a reg to have 30ma protection on the sockets

AR
Must be pre-reg days, c/u has several different colours of paint round edges that I don't recognise !!

Scoby_Beasley said:
Must be pre-reg days, c/u has several different colours of paint round edges that I don't recognise !!

Pre Reg Days..My God, I didn't know they made RCD's in the 1880's!!

I would also point out that putting an RCD in your Consumer Unit as a main switch is NOT a regulation, just that if you do it must comply with the Regulations.

Wanda, firstly I don't understand the issue you are having, please try again to accuratly discribe the issue you have eith your electrics, and secondly, please post new questions in new threads rather than dig up 7 year old threads....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back