A museum piece.....but reliable....

We moved into this house in 1990 when I was a nipper, it had a GloWorm spacesaver on a pumped CH/gravity DHW system. In 1998 we had issues with the pilot light going out on a regular basis so my parents had it looked at, engineers fixed the fault but said it wouldn't live another year......It lasted another 10 years when we had it and the cisterns/cylinder replaced with a combi for two reasons, one being the saving of energy and gas costs and the other being so we could have a shower installed without the need for a pump or a cable run all the way up from the cellar. Said combi is what you expert types on here call a 'Wooshitter' and has had numerous problems over the past ten years including leaking internal parts, dead fan and dead pump. In addition to that our gas supplier had a price hike within weeks of its installation, so much for saving money!

Sponsored Links
Mine WAS a space saver compared to the much bigger but otherwise identical version that heats part of the youth centre where I work

Ahhhh Robin hoods worked on loads of oil ones when you wanted more btus you slapped on another couple of sections so simple brings a tear to the eye to remember.Bob

Sponsored Links
After this conversation I got lost in youtube looking at old boilers being serviced....it was quite addictive.....I think I need to get out more...

There is this American guy who has quite a following and the condition of some of the boilers he comes across.......wow

So many he visits are like this. It is pretty fascinating to watch.....he seems pretty good at his job....very thorough in the cleaning. It makes me feel like my guy did not check the heat exchanger enough. I actually had to lend him my vacuum to clean up the dirt (he was only prepared with a dust pan and brush). I don't think it was that bad though. I'm just getting paranoid after watching those videos.

I wonder how many lives he has saved!

I have the feeling that if those boilers were here, they would be condemned.

------

Out of interest, does every boiler produce some carbon monoxide? I assume the important thing is that the carbon monoxide is a low enough value (ppm) and that it is ventilated outside?

Some of the readings this guy gets seem to be crazy high in the first instance.

----

According to the report the guy gave my boiler, it had a CO reading of 136ppm and a ratio of 0.0020

Last edited:
Our local bookshop and printworks, recently closed, was heated by a brace of robin hoods with nu-way oil conversion, in the cellar. (boiler isstock photo)
corner.jpg
16589246553_d62b966568_b.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back