A nation of unskilled workers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years back do you remember taking the Pee out of the Greeks and the Spanish for shabby constructed buildings shambolic plumbing and dangerous electrics.

Fast forward 40years and his is us. It was announced
Immigration rules to be relaxed for five roles in construction sector, to ease labour shortages"

We are not short of labour we are short of proper skilled workers.

Just take a look at our roads. The amount of pools skilled nurses.

The government thinks chucking numbers at a problem will cure the problem.

We are a nation of unskilled workers.

Sponsored Links
And we will remain one if we don’t train our own and take the easy/cheap/quick fix option and just buy it in from abroad.

As a services provider to other nations I think we may be better. But the government see Skilled workers that are good with their hand as merely manual labour.

Sponsored Links
Disagree.
(Bet you're surprised...)
I don't think it's a lack of "proper skilled workers", as much as it's a lack of Standards.
Things I'm competent to do, I can still do badly if the standard of work required is low. If I were under pressure or on piece work I'd be incentivised to take short cuts. If there were a FOREMAN (remember them?) I'd bloody well have to get the work done up to his standard, or not get paid.

A tiler/roofer/brickie/gasman/spark/insulation installer has a choice , and he'll get away with what he can.

Disagree.
(Bet you're surprised...)
I don't think it's a lack of "proper skilled workers", as much as it's a lack of Standards.
Things I'm competent to do, I can still do badly if the standard of work required is low. If I were under pressure or on piece work I'd be incentivised to take short cuts. If there were a FOREMAN (remember them?) I'd bloody well have to get the work done up to his standard, or not get paid.

A tiler/roofer/brickie/gasman/spark/insulation installer has a choice , and he'll get away with what he can.

Standards are a massive part I do agree and am not surprised at all.

However a good skilled tradesmen will have a certain standard and some will have to follow regulations

Dunno but there appears to be a lack of construction companies taking on apprentices ??

British Gas used to take on a fair few back in the day

Than it got privatised ??

Just take a look at our roads.
The roads in my town are an absolute disgrace. I never thought I'd become one of those people (a busybody) however I'm not far off starting a website and forum concentrating on my town, where I and others post pics of road sections that have been degraded for weeks/months.

There's one stretch of road, I kid you not, where the council has put up one of these on the pavement to indicate just how bad the forthcoming section of road is! This isn't out in the sticks, this isn't countryside I'm referring to, this is near the middle of town.

And we will remain one if we don’t train our own and take the easy/cheap/quick fix option and just buy it in from abroad.
Take that up with the government that was voted in to 'get brexit done'...

The influx of imported workers is now merely from a different source ;)

What they have done is make education/skills training far more expensive, and in many cases saddle ordinary people with a lifetime of debt for the 'privilege'...

Which is bonkers, but then education is a business in the UK (n)

And it ain't going to change any time soon!

Take that up with the government that was voted in to 'get brexit done'...

What they have done is make education/skills training far more expensive, and in many cases saddle ordinary people with a lifetime of debt for the 'privilege'...

Which is bonkers, but then education is a business in the UK (n)

And it ain't going to change any time soon!
I can’t see skills training saddling someone with a lifetime of debt as people on those types of courses usually go on to a job in that field. A worthless university degree that is never used after spending 6 years avoiding the real world of work however….

Last edited:

If they are truly skilled then that's all I've ever asked.

My guess will be that they will be low skilled or are just manual labour

Lots of free apprenticeships have been offered to young intercity kids.
But they are not interested and last months if not weeks or days.

Last time we won a World Cup was when our first division teams were filled with home-grown talent that we could pick the England team from instead of imported players.

Sponsored Links
Back