A nation of unskilled workers

Years back do you remember taking the Pee out of the Greeks and the Spanish for shabby constructed buildings shambolic plumbing and dangerous electrics.

Fast forward 40years and his is us. It was announced
Immigration rules to be relaxed for five roles in construction sector, to ease labour shortages"

We are not short of labour we are short of proper skilled workers.

Just take a look at our roads. The amount of pools skilled nurses.

The government thinks chucking numbers at a problem will cure the problem.

We are a nation of unskilled workers.

Yet you vote for party that wants to lower standards - look at who can provide a prescription now.

You hate what happens but cant stop voting for the party that brings it around.

This is on you.

You scream at people asking for higher pay - well if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

You are the problem.

Sponsored Links
Trouble with all this higher education malarkey is that all we are ending up with is a highly qualified but inexperienced and unemployable group of life-long students. EU freedom of movement is what has ****ed up the skilled trades training industry in this country. It was cheaper in the short term to get a Pole or a Lithuanian to do the job than it is to train little Johnny Smith.

That's capitalism. Tories like you love it - you don't want controls or regulation just like you don't want clean water.

You made your bed now lie in it. Stop complaining.

In the same breath you want higher standards and better skills you shout down people asking for better wages to do these skilled jobs. Nurses not skilled?

Isn't this just another 'things were better in my day' thread without any evidence or reason to believe it's true?

Isn't this just another 'things were better in my day' thread without any evidence or reason to believe it's true?
Nope because tradesmen in every trade will tell you the standards are atrocious now .

Sponsored Links
The tradesmen I know and use, and recommend, are all good at their jobs
Whoopy do and so are the ones I use but 9 out of ten are over a certain age and have never been a 6 week wonder out there running before they can walk wanting to charge rolls Royce prices

Whoopy do and so are the ones I use but 9 out of ten are over a certain age and have never been a 6 week wonder out there running before they can walk wanting to charge rolls Royce prices
Just wonder why you knock all tradesmen then.

The standards are generally related to what you pay for then. There have always been cowboys though

Just wonder why you knock all tradesmen then.

The standards are generally related to what you pay for then. There have always been cowboys though

There are many more cowboys now, than there used to be. The internet, and the likes of Checkatrade have made it much easier for them to get work and walk away from problems.

Trade training is much more rushed, less in depth, whilst at the same time stuff generally has become more technically complex and needed better understanding.

Cars is just one example, a mechanic of 40/50 years ago, would have had a thorough understanding of them. Now it is near impossible to have a complete understanding, because they are so very complex.

Last edited:
There are many more cowboys now, than there used to be. The internet, and the likes of Checkatrade have made it much easier for them to get work and walk away from problems.

Trade training is much more rushed, less in depth, whilst at the same time stuff generally has become more technically complex and needed better understanding.
Equally there are lots of good tradesmen around. Let's not knock them all.

Is the problem people wanting things cheap? Maybe a case of getting what you pay for ?

Equally there are lots of good tradesmen around. Let's not knock them all.

Is the problem people wanting things cheap? Maybe a case of getting what you pay for ?
You obviously haven't got a clue of the prices these pretend tradesmen are charging out their or the amount they are getting paid on sites
Cheap doesn't come into it

Yet you vote for party that wants to lower standards - look at who can provide a prescription now.

This is on you.

You scream at people asking for higher pay - well if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

You are the problem.

More likely on you

I still won't knock all tradesmen. Lots if good ones out there.

Some probably even use this forum

This is on you.

You are the problem.

Not really
I won't be voting Tory next time round. I didn't vote Tory last time round. I think they are all a bunch of @#£%**××.
But you said that didn't you.

I'm just a plumber..... not really down to me is it
Just a plumber with limited choices. That's me.....not on me.

Sponsored Links
Back