A New Bit of Kit (well in our box anyway)

It would be good to see a bypass on the RCD, so the supply authority chap could, if the RCD wont hold, make a judgement call about whether to bypass it or to give householder a temporary board with a few sockets on it

We would probably look for an alternative but a non RCD version would be a No No.

It does beg the question if a property is causing the RCD to operate, on the safety of that installation and weather we should re-connect the mains supply after repair.
I suspect that we would issue a notice of deviation telling the customer to get their installation checked.

Sponsored Links
It does beg the question if a property is causing the RCD to operate, on the safety of that installation and weather we should re-connect the mains supply after repair.

Ah, but can you imagine the daily mail headlines....

"Electricity company leaves grandmother to freeze"

"Electricity company leaves new mother without cooking and heating"

:LOL:

Specification ...
Over current Tripping ... 40 A MCB Type B
Residual current tripping ... 30 mA
The photo appears to show just one device - is it a DP RCBO?

Is this 'innovative device' just an RCBO in a plastic box?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There is a second device & trip button involved to control the second part of this statement

The RESTORE will isolate the supply in the event of over
current, earth leakage, or any break in the continuity
providing full protection to the customers and general
public

There is a second device & trip button involved to control the second part of this statement
The RESTORE will isolate the supply in the event of over current, earth leakage, or any break in the continuity providing full protection to the customers and general public
Is that 'second device' hidden away somewhere? (if so, why?) How does it detect 'a break in the continuity' if there is no load - are there extra cores in the cable, or what?

Whatever, as regards my previous question, is the visible device a DP RCBO?

Kind Regards, John

John as regards the visible device, probably but I'll check tomorrow (not driving to the office now!!)

As for the second, I have no idea and do not intend opening the box to find out. Next time I see someone from Kelvatek I'll ask, but this could be some months.

These devices are certainly far safer than previous temporary arrangements using some CNE or SCNE fused at 100A

John as regards the visible device, probably but I'll check tomorrow (not driving to the office now!!)
Fair enough.
As for the second, I have no idea and do not intend opening the box to find out. Next time I see someone from Kelvatek I'll ask, but this could be some months
Does one also have to "open the box" in order to reset this second device. As I said, I'll be fascinated to know what it is and how it works! I suppose there could be some small load permanently connected at the end of the cable, so that the device could operate if current fell to zero. If not that, then, as I said, I would imagine that there would have to be one or more 'sense' cores in the cable if it were to be able to detect 'loss of continuity' even if there were no loads connected to it.

Kind Regards, John

The RESTORE will isolate the supply in the event of over current, earth leakage, or any break in the continuity providing full protection to the customers and general public
Is that 'second device' hidden away somewhere? (if so, why?) How does it detect 'a break in the continuity' if there is no load - are there extra cores in the cable, or what?
Wouldn't that be just an active RCD?

Does one also have to "open the box" in order to reset this second device.

No there is a second trip button near the bottom of the face plate, I suspect the reset will be automatic after supply is switched off then on.

As I said, I'll be fascinated to know what it is and how it works! I suppose there could be some small load permanently connected at the end of the cable,

There is a black plastic box near the far end of the outgoing cable that may have something to do with this (only a guess), it can be seen on the second picture on the brochure

Wouldn't that be just an active RCD?
Only if we're talking about a loss of continuity in the supply cable - I thought we were talking about a load 'load' cable, but perhaps I was misunderstanding.

Is the 'box on the supply or load end of the 25m of cable, I wonder? I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the box was at the supply end. However, if that assumption was wrong, then the magic devices in the box surely could not protect the cable against anything.

Kind Regards, John

Does one also have to "open the box" in order to reset this second device.
No there is a second trip button near the bottom of the face plate, I suspect the reset will be automatic after supply is switched off then on.
Ah - under the person's hand in the photo, you mean? :)
As I said, I'll be fascinated to know what it is and how it works! I suppose there could be some small load permanently connected at the end of the cable,
There is a black plastic box near the far end of the outgoing cable that may have something to do with this (only a guess), it can be seen on the second picture on the brochure
Ah again, maybe that's my 'small permanent load'!

Kind Regards, John

Could the 2nd box transmit a signal back to the main unit and shut it down on loss of signal, hence justifying the likely high cost of the device

Could the 2nd box transmit a signal back to the main unit and shut it down on loss of signal, hence justifying the likely high cost of the device
It could - but, as I said, it could just be a tiny load (a dozen or two mA should be more than enough), coupled with a 'zero current detector' in the first box.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back