Adaptable Box?

I have found twin & earth seems to snag when drawn through conduit. I would be temped to use a flex as the smoother surface does not snag as much.
Yes, that's true, but I suspect that its really a 'swings and roundabouts' situation. Whilst flex is less likely to snag (both because of its greater flexibility and its round cross-section), I don't think it's outer sheath is as tough as that of T+E.
I have in the past used washing up liquid until I was told how it contained benzene and could explode. Now I use Yellow77 designed for the job. Also in the past used soap and tallow not sure if they will explode but not inclined to do the tests.
I rather suspect that there's some theoretical scaremongering at work here. I seriously doubt that washing up liquid, soap or even tallow represent a significant explosion risk. However, as you say, there are some products 'made for the job', so I suppose it makes sense to use them!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have in the past used washing up liquid until I was told how it contained benzene and could explode. Now I use Yellow77 designed for the job. Also in the past used soap and tallow not sure if they will explode but not inclined to do the tests.
I rather suspect that there's some theoretical scaremongering at work here. I seriously doubt that washing up liquid, soap or even tallow represent a significant explosion risk. However, as you say, there are some products 'made for the job', so I suppose it makes sense to use them!

Kind Regards, John
I am also uncertain as to if fact or fiction. I must have used loads of washing up liquid in the past. I did as a 12 year old try boiling washing up liquid in a test tube and it did seem to explode. But thinking back over the 50 years I wonder if it was just the test tube cracking rather than true explosion? However I have no wish to repeat the experiment and even if it did burn would the amounts left in the conduit really present a risk?

As an apprentice I was told many things which as life went on I found were wrong and I wonder how may I have also told these things to before I found they were wrong. Plus things change I have told people can't have a socket within 3 foot of a tap but when asked where it said that I was unable to find it. Some one must have told me and I believed without checking. Or the regulations have changed.

Before the regs became BS7671 all the stuff in the on-site guide was in the regs book. I still question if items found in the appendix should be considered as regulations or a guide and information only.

I am also uncertain as to if fact or fiction. I must have used loads of washing up liquid in the past. I did as a 12 year old try boiling washing up liquid in a test tube and it did seem to explode. But thinking back over the 50 years I wonder if it was just the test tube cracking rather than true explosion? However I have no wish to repeat the experiment and even if it did burn would the amounts left in the conduit really present a risk?
As I said, I seriously doubt that it would represent a significant hazard.
As an apprentice I was told many things which as life went on I found were wrong and I wonder how may I have also told these things to before I found they were wrong.
Indeed. Perpetuated urban myths exist everywhere. I remember when I was at school being told about certain alleged (but actually non-existant) chemical reactions which had appeared in nearly all textbooks for 50+ years, all having been copied from erroneous statements in one book, many decades before!
Before the regs became BS7671 all the stuff in the on-site guide was in the regs book. I still question if items found in the appendix should be considered as regulations or a guide and information only.
As you know, at least some of the Appendices (e.g. App 15) actually say that they are only 'informative', which I presume means that they are not intended to be regarded as part of the regs or 'mandatory'.

Kind Regards, John

Amazing stuff this washing up liquid
[url]http://www.thetram.net/latest-news/1/bridge-national-tv/[/url] said:
The secrets behind how the 104 metre long, 14.5 metre wide, 1,1000 tonne steel Nottingham Station tram bridge was slid by the NET contractor, Taylor Woodrow Alstom, into position over a live railway and main arterial route into the city were revealed on BBC One’s popular One Show hosted by Chris Evans and Alex Jones (shown at 7pm on Friday 31st May on BBC One).

“The idea that such a colossal structure could be moved along with a few bottles of washing-up liquid and half a dozen sheets of Teflon was just incredible. And all the while, passengers boarded their trains below, completely oblivious.” Commented BBC One Show researcher Stuart Blackburn.

Sponsored Links
I have found twin & earth seems to snag when drawn through conduit. I would be temped to use a flex as the smoother surface does not snag as much.
Yes, that's true, but I suspect that its really a 'swings and roundabouts' situation. Whilst flex is less likely to snag (both because of its greater flexibility and its round cross-section), I don't think it's outer sheath is as tough as that of T+E.

What about split con? I find it great for undersized ducts.

I expect that saying there is benzene in washing up liquid is like saying that there is hydrogen and oxygen in water (and in a dangerously exact ratio to cause a huge explosion).

We wouldn't have to worry about many fires if the oxygen could be removed from the air.

My washing up liquid has never exploded let alone in a very small pipe -
even gas doesn't explode in a small pipe.

There's worrying and then again - there's worrying.

Can't you make a sort of napalm with washing up liquid and gasoline?

With or without benzene?

I'm pretty sure my main concern about using things which contained benzene would be that it is carcinogenic, not that it is inflammable.

If you want something to go bang in a conduit, try triethylborane - it auto ignites at -20°C

Can't you make a sort of napalm with washing up liquid and gasoline? With or without benzene?
Very probably, given that washing up liquid is fairly sticky and can bind to hydrophobic molecules like gasoline - Swarfega would probably be even better! However, it would then obviously be the gasoline that was doing the burning (or exploding) - the washing up liquid would simply be sticking it to things (like trees and people)>

Kind Regards, John

IIRC expanded polystyrene is the kitchen anarchists substance of choice.

I wonder if the PRISM peeps will pick this up? If I disappear assume a TPIM :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back