A Question For 'CIDER'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you still online?

Am I right in thinking that you know a lot about solid fuel systems?

If yes, I have a question for you.

Sponsored Links
I posted this question a few weeks ago, but no one else replied.

I have bought an old cottage in France, where I will live in 2 years. I am renovating it.
I want to install a wood burner in sitting room with a back boiler. Upstairs there will be a copper water cylinder connected to the wood burner's b. boiler.
In the summer I will heat the water in the cylinder with an immersion element, which is easy to control the water temp. with.
In the winter when the fire is lit, the cylinder will be heated from the wood burner.
My question is, how do I control the water temp. in the cylinder when it is being heated by the back boiler? Do people control the water temp on cylinders heated by wood burners, I'm worried that without control, the water temp. will be too hot coming out of the taps.

Thanks for your patience Cider.

Sponsored Links
you dont controll the water temp unless you get a stove with a water stat even then the "system" has to absord the heat out put when the stove idols.
Just make sure the stove has a low output boiler in it for water heating only, some are glass lined for direct systems.
Of course you should be consulting french regs (if the exist)!

well thats 9 mins gone

:LOL:

Sorry Seco, feel free to answer this one. You are another regular expert who I have a lot of respect for (always quality answers to questions:cool: )

It's just that I posted this question a while back with no replies. I see from some old posts that Cider is a bit of a solid fuel guru.

sorry wood burners are out of my league. i know nothing about them at all.
hummm.gif

Ok Cider thanks, will try to get a boiler with a water stat. I really want to buy the equipment in The UK to take with me. Do you know of a good supplier or manufacturer?

Advice much appreciated

im not telling you to get a stove with a water stat.
The stove output to room has to match the room, and if it can have a boiler fitted, that has to have an output to match the demand .
Dont buy the one that looks right for the opening!
Find your local stove supplier, they should give the advice you need face to face ;)

This is completely outside my experience, so please forgive me if this is a silly idea.

It seems to me that the important thing is the dhw temperature to the taps - the water in the cylinder can be much hotter, as long as it doesn't boil.

Could you not install a thermostatic mixing valve on the dhw flow from the cylinder, the cold side of which would be fed directly from the cold water cistern?

In my experience a Cyltrol valve will give you a degree of control over the domestic hot water temp, though a 'heat-sink' radiator would need to be incorporated into the primary pipe loop as well, ie a radiator that cannot be turned off. This radiator will then take the heat that would have gone to the cylinder before the cyltrol closed and help keep the back boiler from getting too hot and err boiling. It is usual practice to have this radiator in the bathroom to act as a towel warmer, then the heat is not completley wasted.
But, as has already been said, check local regs first.

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/acl-drayton-invensys-cyltrol-valve-1bsp-straight-p-1378.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back