A question for real sparks (Not DIY)

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
crafty1289 said:
someone asked this a few weeks ago. someone will give you a link. ended up spanning about 15 pages in 2 days :LOL:

Didn't that thread end up getting deleted when the OP got all offensive?
Why on earth should someone have got all offensive about 3-phase power?

And gafferson - why do you think that only electricians can tell you why we have 3-phase?

ban-all-sheds said:
RF Lighting said:
crafty1289 said:
someone asked this a few weeks ago. someone will give you a link. ended up spanning about 15 pages in 2 days :LOL:

And gafferson - why do you think that only electricians can tell you why we have 3-phase?

Well not ONLY electricians, but mainly electricians. I wouldn't ask a plumber about decking screws now would I ?

TheGaffersSon said:
Many thanks to all that have posted so far.

Can you tell me, why are 3-phases used to connect to a metre. I fitted one the other day, and didn't like not knowing why I did so.
If you have a 3phase supply you'll need a 3 phase meter or 3 single phase meters, if you have a single phase supply a single phase meter will do.
Another question. I may be wrong but is 3-phase used, because the magnetic field produced can make objects rotate by all three at 120 degrees pulling it towards them?
Which is why a 3phase motor is a lot more efficient than its single phase counterpart.
I was told if you fit a 3 phase item incorrectly (ie the wrong way round) it can work in reverse. I assumed this was because the magnetic fields would be different.
To make a 3phase motor spin the opposite way you swop two of the supply phase wires to it over.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Indeed so, but is the power waveform not also sinusoidal?
If the power waveform was purely sinusoidal then you'd never get any power through (which btw is what happens if you connect a perfect inductor or capacitor to an AC supply, theres voltage and current but no net power)

if we assume a resistive (power factor 1) load then the power waveform will have a constant component (the average) plus a sinusoidal component that will cause it to vary beween 0 and twice the average.

TheGaffersSon said:
ban-all-sheds said:
RF Lighting said:
crafty1289 said:

Well not ONLY electricians, but mainly electricians. I wouldn't ask a plumber about decking screws now would I ?
No but you could ask me about caulking decking on a ship using a caulking iron similar to leaded soil pipe joints.....one use for old rope ;)

So he probably knows it ALL now - after a year.

Probably he knows the difference between a metre and a meter too :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back