A question on tanking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im renovating the bathroom in my house and am now at the stage of tiling. Im going to tank the shower/bath area is it advisable to tank the floor aswell or will tiles/waterproof addhesive/grout be sufficient. Also have bought Mapei Aqua defence for this is this much different to Mapegum (nearly half the price). TIA

Sponsored Links
whats the floor subsrate?...wbp ply/floorboards/screed/chipboard etc...

again....."waterproof...adhesive......is it epoxy adhesive...if not ...read the bag.... :rolleyes:

Seal the underside & edges of the ply with acrylic primer before laying. Assuming they are proper floor boards & not crappy chipboard, make sure the floorboards are well fixed down, use additional screws if necessary. Screw fix the ply every 200mm through into the joists not just into the top of the boards; check position of pipes & cables first. Make sure any board joints going with the joists run down the centre of a joist; avoid cross joist joints in the centre of the room or in high load/traffic areas; reinforce joints with fibreglass reinforcing tape.

Only expensive epoxy tiling products are truly waterproof, the rest are only waterproof in the sense they won’t disintegrate when wet but will still absorb water. It’s not normally necessary to tank the floor unless it’s a wet room or large quantities of water are going to get thrown around by kids.

Use only quality trade tiling materials, cheap own brand & DIY products are mostly crap. What type/size tiles are you laying?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, the wall tiles are ceramic 200x300x8mm the floor tiles are slightly larger can't quite remember the exact size.
So tanking the floor would be overkill, its not a wet room just fitted with a shower/bath.
I think I will just tank the whole area around the bath, and seal where the floor meets the wall?

the wall tiles are ceramic 200x300x8mm the floor tiles are slightly larger can't quite remember the exact size.
Tile size & possibly weight is approaching marginal for tub ready mix & I advise using cement powder adhesive; what is the tile base?

I think I will just tank the whole area around the bath
Always a good idea but. again, what is the tile base?

and seal where the floor meets the wall?
Use a quality sanitary silicone.

So tanking the floor would be overkill.
Yes but you can if you really want to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back