A quick one:help with dimmer switch for mains halogen lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey peeps,

A real quick one that I just want to double-check with the general collective here on DIYnot!

We're expecting our first little bub in a few weeks so have been busy decorating the nursery and have bought a cute kiddy-style 3-lamp halogen light for his room. Max rating of the light fitting is 3x35W 240V GU10 lamps = total 105W.

Would like to fit a dimmer too so the missus doesn't have to blast the room with light when she is up in the middle of the night to feed him (hehe), so will this one do: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47327...Switches-Sockets/Dimmers/Dimmer-1G-2W-40-250W? I've read about having to derate on dimming halogens, but this one says it doesn't have to be derated on tungsten (presumably meaning tungsten halogen?) lamps. By my reckoning, it would be fine even if derated (but that's why I wanted to check!!) :)

Thanks in advance for your help
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Worth trying to get a rotary on/off one.

With the push on/ off most of the time you push it, it is too bright and you need to turn it down.
unless you faff about turning it down before pushing it.

Sponsored Links
Yes thats rotary.
Not essential , personal choice really, your decision.

Not that it matters in your case, rotary are always 1 way and push type usually 2 way but can still be used as in your case as 1 way.

The one you show says, ways" two", contacts "two" ,so I assume thats a misprint :confused:

Proberly cheaper in B and Q

That's a push on/off one - it must be if it's 2-way.

I thought the advice to get a rotary one was to guarantee that the light would always start dim?

How can you tell that it is 2 way,
I can't begin to imagine....

dimmer.jpg

it says rotary and also that it has two contacts.
L1 & L2?

Do not know why it says, ways two. :confused:
Maybe because it's 2-way?

Because as well as a rotating control to do dimming you need a single-pole changeover too.

If all you have is a knob which is off at it's anticlockwise extreme, and then as you rotate it clockwise you go to "ON @ 0" through to "ON @ 100%" you don't have a changeover.

You could make a push on-off one that was 1-way, but you couldn't make a 2-way that was not push on-off (except with a centre-off potentiometer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back