500W halogen dimmer, is there one..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a call yesterday afternoon, customer put up 4 nice new wall lights at easter, yesterday they "just stopped working"
Further questioning, "well the dimmer was smelling a bit." now, this is a standard 2G 250W dimmer, each of these wall lights has a 120W linear halogen in it, hmmmmm.

Had a scout round to try to find a suitable replacement, and no luck so far, MK do a 500W dimmer, but needs to be derated for halogen.

does anyone know of such a beast as a 2G dimmer, on a single plate that will do 480W of halogen? otherwise, I might have to look at remote dim options.

Sponsored Links
Inform your customer that 480w to light one room in this day and age is ridiculous and socially irresponsible, therefore it is against your company's ethical stance to fix his problem. I was in a bar/restaurant last night and the whole place (10,000sqft) cant have had 480w of lighting! It was lit entirely by leds.

Have you looked at mk grid? I heard tbere was a 1kw dimmer out there but not on a 2g plate. Might be able to make one with grid.

I'll have a look at the grid, the 480W of wall lights isnt the only lighting, oh no, there are 6 pendants too...

Sponsored Links
Inform your customer that 480w to light one room in this day and age is ridiculous and socially irresponsible, therefore it is against your company's ethical stance to fix his problem.

Well if that's the way you talk to your customer I hope you get enough time to gather your tools before he puts you out on your backside and calls someone else.

Got a call yesterday afternoon, customer put up 4 nice new wall lights at easter, yesterday they "just stopped working"
Further questioning, "well the dimmer was smelling a bit." now, this is a standard 2G 250W dimmer, each of these wall lights has a 120W linear halogen in it, hmmmmm.

Had a scout round to try to find a suitable replacement, and no luck so far, MK do a 500W dimmer, but needs to be derated for halogen.

does anyone know of such a beast as a 2G dimmer, on a single plate that will do 480W of halogen? otherwise, I might have to look at remote dim options.

Are all the wall lights on 1 gang of the dimmer? If so you could just buy a 1g 1000w dimmer and rob the module out of it, but you'll need to check it's a standard width module as some are wider and will not fit a 2g plate.

If not you can get a 600w dimmer that is a standard size module, but 1000w would be better as it won't be working as hard.

Depending upon how the switches are set up.....

I would sink another box next to the current one & put the TH lighting on a 1kW 1G dimmer & the pendants on another switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back